Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
First I've heard of this. Don't see any sites in the scene talking about this yet, if it's true:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/byod/23158/jailbreak-unlock-iphone-illegal-tpp-uc-itbwcw

Jailbreak or unlock hacks of iPhone to be ILLEGAL under Obama's TPP treaty
By Richi Jennings
November 19, 2013

The secret Trans-Pacific Partnership treaty (TPP) draft, wikileaked last week, appears to proscribe unauthorized jailbreaking, rooting, and even carrier-unlocking. So your iPhone or other smartphone needs to stay locked to its carrier and your iPad or other iOS device needs to stay within Apple's family-friendly, sexless walled garden of pomaceous monetization ...

hansonjohn590

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2013
First I've heard of this. Don't see any sites in the scene talking about this yet, if it's true:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/byod/23158/jailbreak-unlock-iphone-illegal-tpp-uc-itbwcw

Jailbreak or unlock hacks of iPhone to be ILLEGAL under Obama's TPP treaty
By Richi Jennings
November 19, 2013

The secret Trans-Pacific Partnership treaty (TPP) draft, wikileaked last week, appears to proscribe unauthorized jailbreaking, rooting, and even carrier-unlocking. So your iPhone or other smartphone needs to stay locked to its carrier and your iPad or other iOS device needs to stay within Apple's family-friendly, sexless walled garden of pomaceous monetization ...

This 'secret treaty' means nothing unless it is ratified by each members countries. In the United States, it has to go through congressional approval to actually have any teeth.

Our jailbreaks are safe for another few years.

td1439

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
Boston-ish
The scary part is, the TPP has been in the works for some time now, and it has the potential to have a huge impact on people's lives all over the world, yet it gets zero attention from corporate media.

Funso

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2011
Benghazi, Benghazi, Benghazi.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

Screw you you insensitive ****.

A friend of mine died there, and I'm willing to bet he was a more useful member of our species than you are.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Screw you you insensitive ****.

A friend of mine died there, and I'm willing to bet he was a more useful member of our species than you are.

Since you don't watch colbert nor Stewart you won't get his/her joke.

-----------

If it's a secret treaty then I won't have to abide to it because its a secret. I don't see this getting passed as a non secret ruling at least on unlocking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.