Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Dec 5, 2013, 05:23 PM   #1
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Death of Nelson Mandela reported

Just noticed on Twitter and on the BBC that the death of Nelson Mandela has been announced.

In a world sadly lacking in genuinely heroic figures, he embodied in his very person and in the way he lived his life the notion of the 'philosopher king', being ruler, mentor, leader and guide to his people. A truly impressive human being and inspirational leader, he played a transformational role which required physical and moral courage and political insight and wisdom. To find any of these in a political leader is welcome. To find them all in one human being is little short of incredible.

RIP Nelson Mandela. A rare man, incredible leader and truly impressive role model.
Scepticalscribe is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2013, 05:30 PM   #2
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
Just noticed on Twitter and on the BBC that the death of Nelson Mandela has been announced.

In a world sadly lacking in genuinely heroic figures, he embodied in his very person and in the way he lived his life the notion of the 'philosopher king', being ruler, mentor, leader and guide to his people. A truly impressive human being and inspirational leader, he played a transformational role which required physical and moral courage and political insight and wisdom. To find any of these in a political leader is welcome. To find them all in one human being is little short of incredible.

RIP Nelson Mandela. A rare man, incredible leader and truly impressive role model.
Thank you for saying, far better than I, what a huge loss this is.

I am almost never effected emotionally by the death of a world leader (or anyone else in public life, for that matter)... but I am very deeply moved by Mandela's death.

The word Hero is grossly overused and has been trivialized by that overuse. This man was, indeed, a Hero, to South Africans, and to the world. Truly a man of enormous strength and grace.

Last edited by Shrink; Dec 5, 2013 at 06:13 PM.
Shrink is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2013, 05:44 PM   #3
zioxide
macrumors 603

Three quotes from him that are extremely powerful, and if people today lived by them, the world would be a much better place:

Quote:
"No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite."
Quote:
"Democracy is based on the majority principle. This is especially true in a country such as ours where the vast majority have been systematically denied their rights. At the same time, democracy also requires that the rights of political and other minorities be safeguarded."
Quote:
"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
zioxide is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2013, 05:54 PM   #4
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

R.I.P Nelson Mandela 1918 - 2013

No words can describe the sacrifice he made for the freedom of others. I personally can't even imagine how life was for him in the 30's 40's and etc:
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2013, 08:13 PM   #5
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
Three quotes from him that are extremely powerful, and if people today lived by them, the world would be a much better place:
Wonderful quotes, thank you.

RIP
Old Dec 5, 2013, 08:28 PM   #6
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Very few deaths affect me outside the obvious family/friends, but this is one that certainly draws sadness.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2013, 09:16 PM   #7
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

R.I.P. His memory will live on. I am very fortunate to have seen what he had done.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 02:28 AM   #8
Happybunny
macrumors 68000

A beacon has gone out in the world, many talk about a true statesman, but he was the real thing. He was an inspiration to the world, after all the terrible events in his life, he never remained bitter.

RIP. Nelson Mandela you truly did make a difference, the world is poorer because you are gone.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 03:38 AM   #9
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Been expecting this news for a while now. Hope he rests in peace and all that.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 04:41 AM   #10
jeremy h
macrumors 6502

The ability to conjure up an alternative history for a blood soaked, terrified country and then make a peaceful transition of power seem inevitable in retrospect was a towering achievement.
jeremy h is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2014, 07:04 PM   #11
JamesMike
macrumors Demi-God

I was lucky to have met him in person while working in Africa. He impressed me with how nice he was.
JamesMike is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2014, 08:29 PM   #12
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMike View Post
I was lucky to have met him in person while working in Africa. He impressed me with how nice he was.
That is a memory well worth cherishing.
Scepticalscribe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:29 AM   #13
joice33
macrumors newbie

The present world will keep this Leader in mind forever. I really salute his from my soul.
joice33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM   #14
phrehdd
macrumors 68000

I respect the many things he stood for. I was not a fan of the man himself. I can say similar about other great leaders but again - it is not always about the person but what they stood for and accomplished so I consider his deeds to be remarkable in our lifetime and deserves a golden place in modern history.
phrehdd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM   #15
JamesMike
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrehdd View Post
I respect the many things he stood for. I was not a fan of the man himself. I can say similar about other great leaders but again - it is not always about the person but what they stood for and accomplished so I consider his deeds to be remarkable in our lifetime and deserves a golden place in modern history.
In my earlier statement, I said he was a very nice man, later when I worked for the UN, was able to attend the World Cup Rugby Championship in Joburg, with all the hip, they were very nice to me, and allowed me to sit in the same boxes that he was in, and he gave me a Springbok shirt, not bad!
JamesMike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:03 AM   #16
phrehdd
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMike View Post
In my earlier statement, I said he was a very nice man, later when I worked for the UN, was able to attend the World Cup Rugby Championship in Joburg, with all the hip, they were very nice to me, and allowed me to sit in the same boxes that he was in, and he gave me a Springbok shirt, not bad!
I am glad that your moment with him was a good one. I admit that often I like to research the people behind the 'icon' or great deeds. They are human, they are at times morally frail and he is no different. This doesn't diminish the work he accomplished.
phrehdd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:03 AM   #17
joice33
macrumors newbie

Never dies such man @Nelson Mendela.
joice33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events