Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Construction on Apple's Campus 2 project is underway, with the company continuing its demolition of existing buildings on the site. Demolition began soon after Apple obtained its ancillary permits following an initial unanimous October approval of the project from the Cupertino City Council.

Photo-Dec-05-2-17-25-PM.jpg
Road work and construction signs surround the area where demolition has begun, with a clear view of the demolished buildings available from the nearby highway. Apple has also constructed a large wall around the construction area to avoid impacting nearby businesses and residents. Large bulldozers and other equipment are within the campus area, clearing debris, and several sidewalk areas have been closed.

Photo-Dec-05-2-13-31-PM.jpg
Photo-Dec-05-2-22-59-PM-1.jpg
Visible demolition is taking place on the parcel of land that Apple purchased back in 2006, while the HP campus itself remains hidden behind walls and the tree line. The 50-acre prior purchase will make up the southern half of the campus that will house a massive parking structure while the main "Spaceship" building will be located in the northern portion of the property.

Photo-Dec-05-2-17-26-PM.jpg
Photo-Dec-05-2-22-53-PM.jpg
Apple received final approval for its Apple Campus 2 project back in November, and following a unanimous vote, Cupertino Mayor Orrin Mahoney told the company to "go for it."

Following the demolition of the existing buildings, phase 1 of the Apple Campus 2 construction will include the famous 2.8 million square foot ring-shaped main building with an underground parking facility capable of accommodating approximately 2,400 cars.

A 100,000 square foot fitness center and a 120,000 square foot auditorium will also be built, and during a second phase of construction, Apple will build an additional 600,000 square feet worth of office, research, and development buildings.

Apple hopes to finish the first phase of the Apple Campus 2 construction by 2016.

Article Link: Demolition at New Apple Campus 2 Well Underway

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
This is awesome! Now only if we had some Amazon Prime Air drones live streaming the construction, that'd be fantastic. :cool:

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I can't wait for the pictures showing the actual construction of the building, and photos showing the inside once it is complete.

Have a feeling it will be beautiful.

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
I think Apple is going to build something great.

I do think it is ironic when people renovate their homes businesses, etc with environmentally friendly products and buildings, but are filling up landfills with the old junk.

henrys130

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
I really hope that apple will have live cams on a page of their site covering this, unlikely I know. Really hoping for allot of coverage tho or live cams from else where ;)

iPad Air

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013
SC, USA
Man, I really like to see these kinds of huge billion dollar projects going on, it is so interesting! This is the result of the great free enterprise. We all really like Apple products=they can build this! :apple:

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
The way macrumors has evolved in the last year there will be about 200 posts describing every stage of the demolition, construction, tree planting, moving trucks....etc.....gotta get those page views/clicks/$

----------

Really? A first-page article on demolished buildings? How irrelevant can that be?

Not really related to Macs.
Not really a rumor.
Therefore, let's post this on the front page because we'll post anything these days to get attention.

TO THE MACRUMORS STAFF: sometimes less is more! If it's a slow news day then let it be a slow news day. You could have posted something about the late Nelson Mandela. Just as irrelevant as this story but a million times more significant.

mbh

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
I can hardly wait for the inevitable stories about typical construction issues and how they surely spell the impending doom of Apple. You know they're coming. There are probably already first drafts with the specific details left blank.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
I really hope that apple will have live cams on a page of their site covering this, unlikely I know. Really hoping for allot of coverage tho or live cams from else where ;)

They'll release the Apple TV with one channel: Apple HQ Construction: Live

----------

I can hardly wait for the inevitable stories about typical construction issues and how they surely spell the impending doom of Apple. You know they're coming. There are probably already first drafts with the specific details left blank.

I'm sure they already have an article on how the enormous curved pieces of glass are facing supply constraints. :D

jlgolson

Contributing Editor
Jun 2, 2011
Durango, CO
Not really related to Macs.
Not really a rumor.
Therefore, let's post this on the front page because we'll post anything these days to get attention.

TO THE MACRUMORS STAFF: sometimes less is more! If it's a slow news day then let it be a slow news day. You could have posted something about the late Nelson Mandela. Just as irrelevant as this story but a million times more significant.
Apple's new campus is a major development in the growth of the company and it is natural for us to document that. Not every post is going to be interesting to every reader, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to have a nice mix of posts.

This post is absolutely relevant to our mission of sharing and reporting on developments related to Apple and its larger markets.

With regards to Nelson Mandela, his death is indeed a notable event and an important story, but it would be inappropriate to write it up here and would likely lead to even more off-topic comments claiming that we post stories just for clicks and ad revenue, which could not be further from the truth.

There are, however, many excellent news outlets that have extensive coverage of the life and death of Mr. Mandela. I encourage everyone to give them a read.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Someone wake me when the food truck arrives on site. I'm pretty interested in that.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Must be nice to be a construction contractor on a project with a nearly unlimited budget. :)

Is the budget really "nearly unlimited"? I assume Apple didn't get where they were at by pissing away cash on things like lagging contractors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.