Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 6, 2013, 05:15 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Updates Apple Store App with Support for iBeacon Systems

The Associated Press is reporting that Apple will be launching iBeacon technology in its 254 U.S. retail stores today, with Apple quietly launching an over-the-air update to its Apple Store app to support iBeacon receivers in its retail locations. The official move follows a report last month stating that iBeacon integration in Apple Stores would be enabled through an Apple Store app update, with the app now prompting users about receiving in-store notifications once opened.

The Apple Store app also gives examples of what notifications can be pushed to the devices of in-store customers through the use of iBeacons, such as messages about picking up online orders and store events.

Apple reportedly demonstrated the use of iBeacon systems to the Associated Press in its Fifth Avenue store this week prior to its official rollout today:
Quote:
The company demonstrated the technology to The Associated Press this week at its busy, 24-hour Fifth Avenue store in New York City. At this particular store, Apple has installed about 20 iBeacon transmitters, some of which are simply iPhones and iPads, which come with the capability as part of the iOS 7 mobile software released in September. The transmitters use Bluetooth wireless technology to sense your exact location. That's not possible with GPS, which don't work well indoors and aren't good at distinguishing between locations that are just a few feet apart.
First introduced at WWDC, iBeacon microlocation APIs are designed to access location data through the Bluetooth Low Energy profile on iOS devices, interacting with physical transmitters. The technology first appeared earlier this year, when Major League Baseball announced plans to begin incorporating Apple's iBeacon APIs into its MLB.com At the Ballpark app to create interactive experiences within stadiums in the near future.

The various implementations of iBeacon systems by different companies has also picked up throughout the past few weeks, with some companies such as London based digital publishing startup Exact Editions using Apple's microlocation receivers to deliver location-based access to iOS Newsstand publications. Shopping app Shopkick and Macy's also teamed up for the first retail-based iBeacons last month, allowing customers to find location-specific deals, discounts, and recommendations in the Shopkick app while in a participating Macy's store.

According to an official support page, Apple's iBeacon technology works with Bluetooth capable iOS devices running iOS 7 including the iPhone 4S or later, iPad (3rd generation) or later, iPad mini or later, and the iPod Touch (5th generation) or later. The Apple Store app is a free download for iOS devices, but the new functionality does not require users to download an updated version from the App Store. [Direct Link: iPhone/iPad]

Article Link: Apple Updates Apple Store App with Support for iBeacon Systems
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 05:19 AM   #2
MrSmith
macrumors 68030

That's a step back for delayed gratification. The modern world...

Ernest Dowson
MrSmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 05:19 AM   #3
ZacNicholson
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to ZacNicholson
This is pretty cool!
ZacNicholson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 05:23 AM   #4
hrishidev
macrumors member

Next :iBeacons near exhibits in Art Gallery ,In restaraunts , Airports , Hotels , Mupltiplex ...eventually everywhere
Old Dec 6, 2013, 05:33 AM   #5
andyvp
macrumors member

I think the Topsy purchase might go right along with this. Collect shopping data on what i specifically do in a store...I looked at cases for 7.25 minutes...spent 8.63 minutes on the iPad Mini with retina...Then i receive targeted emails a few days later about those very things.

Could be a huge part of their service they provide to any retailer that would like to use iBeacon.
andyvp is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 06:31 AM   #6
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Hmm...I'll have to try this out later today. Sounds cool.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 06:41 AM   #7
Wayfarer
macrumors 6502a

But app background refresh drains battery power.
Wayfarer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 06:47 AM   #8
mongobongo
macrumors newbie

There should be an option to use GPS to automatically turn on Bluetooth before you enter an Apple Store.
mongobongo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 06:50 AM   #9
AbSoluTc
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongobongo View Post
There should be an option to use GPS to automatically turn on Bluetooth before you enter an Apple Store.
Might as well have BT on to begin with. GPS polling your location every so often would drain the battery.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 06:56 AM   #10
mongobongo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbSoluTc View Post
Might as well have BT on to begin with. GPS polling your location every so often would drain the battery.
I'm not sure. Don't most people have location services turned on most of the time but Bluetooth turned off to save battery, unless they're actively using some Bluetooth accessory? At least I do.
mongobongo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 07:09 AM   #11
doctor-don
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyvp View Post
I think the Topsy purchase might go right along with this. Collect shopping data on what i specifically do in a store...I looked at cases for 7.25 minutes...spent 8.63 minutes on the iPad Mini with retina...Then i receive targeted emails a few days later about those very things.

Could be a huge part of their service they provide to any retailer that would like to use iBeacon.
More spam?
doctor-don is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 07:21 AM   #12
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
But app background refresh drains battery power.
Compromise:

Turn on Background Refresh, but then turn it OFF for every app except the App Store.
Xenomorph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 07:26 AM   #13
deputy_doofy
macrumors 65816

I don't know that this will ever truly replace using the elephant key at the zoo to listen to that horrible, monotone voice explain about the animal you're looking at, but there you have it -- a use at the zoo.
deputy_doofy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 07:30 AM   #14
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor-don View Post
More spam?
If opting in is voluntary how can it be spam?
Old Dec 6, 2013, 07:30 AM   #15
mw360
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I'm not sure. Don't most people have location services turned on most of the time but Bluetooth turned off to save battery, unless they're actively using some Bluetooth accessory? At least I do.
Bluetooth low energy profile is very different. Most likely you're wasting your time turning it on and off, unless you are also worried about something else, like security.
mw360 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 07:37 AM   #16
Menel
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy_doofy View Post
I don't know that this will ever truly replace using the elephant key at the zoo to listen to that horrible, monotone voice explain about the animal you're looking at, but there you have it -- a use at the zoo.
You'll just have a horrible, monotone voice coming through your iPhone instead of an 'elephant key' whatever that is.

----------

Quote:
No, most people have bluetooth turned on so it can sync with their car, fitbit, headset etc on a regular convenient basis.

It doesn't use much power like it did 4 years ago.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 07:49 AM   #17
Supermacguy
macrumors member

iBeacons just seem to creepy, watching my every move in a building. LIke the worst part of Minority Report or 1984.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 08:30 AM   #18
Radio
macrumors 65816

Silly name

Can no one else think of adding anything else but an "i" in front of every word?
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 08:54 AM   #19
scbn
macrumors regular

Your every move is tracked to the inches? I'll skip...
scbn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 09:01 AM   #20
Vjosullivan
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermacguy View Post
iBeacons just seem to creepy, watching my every move in a building. LIke the worst part of Minority Report or 1984.
Definitely. At best it appears to be nothing more than a junk mail / spam generator for shopping malls. At worst...
Vjosullivan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 09:26 AM   #21
dannyyankou
macrumors 65816

Interesting. I'm going to the Apple Store later today anyway, so I'll have to try this out.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
If opting in is voluntary how can it be spam?
1000% this
dannyyankou is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 09:27 AM   #22
troop231
macrumors 601

Weird, the update isn't showing for me. If I go directly to the app's page, all it has is the 'Open' button, not 'Update'. It's not appearing under the Updates tab either (automatic updates are turned off as well) The article title says Apple Updates Apple Store App, but if I go into iTunes on the Mac, I see the last update was November 8th for the iPhone version.
Screenshot:

Thumb resize.

Last edited by troop231; Dec 6, 2013 at 09:35 AM.
troop231 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 09:37 AM   #23
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by troop231 View Post
Weird, the update isn't showing for me. If I go directly to the app's page, all it has is the 'Open' button, not 'Update'. It's not appearing under the Updates tab either (automatic updates are turned off as well) The article title says Apple Updates Apple Store App, but if I go into iTunes on the Mac, I see the last update was November 8th for the iPhone version.
It's an over-the-air update. You don't need to do anything.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 09:38 AM   #24
troop231
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
It's an over-the-air update. You don't need to do anything.
Maybe change article to reflect this.
troop231 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 09:40 AM   #25
edolecki
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by troop231 View Post
Weird, the update isn't showing for me. If I go directly to the app's page, all it has is the 'Open' button, not 'Update'.
Perhaps we all already have the update. I think I read the term "quiet" wireless update. Once you're in range of a store and the Apple Store is running, you may simply be presented with the new stuff.

While I'm not in a position to jump in my car to test this theory out, I'm sure reports will trickle in about this whole new thing.
edolecki is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion