Images of Razer 'Kazuyo' Game Controller Leaked - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 6, 2013, 06:43 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Images of Razer 'Kazuyo' Game Controller Leaked

An image of what might be a MFi (Made for iPhone) controller from computer peripheral manufacturer Razer has been leaked on Twitter by @evleaks, who has been known to provide reliable images in the past.

The enclosure controller, reportedly named the Razer Kazuyo, appears to wrap around the iPhone, adding face buttons, shoulder buttons, and a directional pad on either side of the phone. This layout is similar to other iOS game controllers such as the Logitech Powershell and the MOGA Ace Power, which were both released in last month. Unlike both controllers however, the Razer Kazuyo includes the ability to tilt the iPhone up, allowing for better viewing angles and easier access.
It is not known when exactly the Razer Kazuyo will be released, but it is likely that it will be compatible with a growing list of iOS games upon availability. Currently, games such as Dead Trigger 2, Asphalt 8: Airborne, and Bastion offer controller support, with additional developers pledging to build controller support into their apps now that controller hardware is available to consumers.

Article Link: Images of Razer 'Kazuyo' Game Controller Leaked
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 06:46 AM   #2
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Raising the screen up like that seems like it would make the controls awkward to reach... maybe if it raises up above the controls and then tilts up (think GameBoy DS or SP) it might work well...
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 06:46 AM   #3
iomar
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to iomar
Wow, my son was asking me about this. I can't wait to get it for him! It will be good if Apple Designed their own Controllers.

http://www.bjjproducts.com
iomar is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 06:50 AM   #4
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Eh, I won't be impressed unless they release a wider version.
AngerDanger is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 07:17 AM   #5
Baklava
macrumors 6502

'Leaked'
Old Dec 6, 2013, 07:23 AM   #6
stevemiller
macrumors 6502a

after my last razor product experience, i wouldn't touch anything they make.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 07:24 AM   #7
brianvictor7
macrumors regular

Tried playing one of the Final Fantasy games for iOS recently and put it down after 5 minutes because I didn't like not seeing the whole screen. I might actually go for this depending on how much it costs and what it is compatible with game-wise.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 08:00 AM   #8
TallManNY
macrumors 68000

I don't really play games on my phone but this actually looks pretty nice. I think all phone game players are going to buy at least one of these. I bet my commute to work starting in January is going to have a lot of folks playing games with these devices.
TallManNY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 08:24 AM   #9
Elbon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iomar View Post
Wow, my son was asking me about this. I can't wait to get it for him! It will be good if Apple Designed their own Controllers.
Agreed. All of the 3rd-party controllers I have seen so far look cheap.
Elbon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 08:32 AM   #10
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by iomar View Post
I'd love to see it too. IMO, most Apple users trust/like/buy Apple hardware far more than any 3rd party accessory; so if Apple made their own game developers would get on-board a lot quicker too.

This one looks better than the others (to me), but I'd still prefer to see a narrower, more comfortable design.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 08:34 AM   #11
PBG4 Dude
macrumors 65816

Still no joy for iPad gamers.
PBG4 Dude is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 08:41 AM   #12
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post
Still no joy for iPad gamers.
True - this patience thing is a b***h, I'd have thought there'd be many more options for controllers for the holiday season than there are, guess the whole thing is just going to take a bit longer. Can't wait to get one of these for my mini - think it'll be great fun.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 08:42 AM   #13
pasqualino
macrumors member

i don't see a directional pad
pasqualino is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 08:46 AM   #14
ssspinball
macrumors regular

Reasons I won't buy a wraparound-style controller

1. Incompatible with iPad
2. Incompatible with (future/possible) ATV gaming
3. Incompatible with future iPhones not even a year away.
4. Incompatible with iPhone cases
5. I don't want to dock/undock my phone for every game

I want a universal bluetooth controller for a reasonable price. The one major downside would be you have to set your device down, but for those of us that only play games at home this isn't an issue.

Even better would be if someone made a "transator" box that you plug in and it connects to both iOS devices and PS/Xbox controllers and maps the buttons according so that they work together.
ssspinball is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 08:47 AM   #15
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by whooleytoo View Post
I'd love to see it too. IMO, most Apple users trust/like/buy Apple hardware far more than any 3rd party accessory; so if Apple made their own game developers would get on-board a lot quicker too.

I don't know why people think Apple would be good at making game controllers. If there is one thing they are not good at hardware-wise, it's making decent input devices (aside from trackpads, of course.) I could see how an Apple-designed one might help adoption, especially if it looked cool, but I wouldn't expect it to be any good.

Companies like Logitech and Razr have been making great gaming input devices for years.
Cougarcat is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 08:48 AM   #16
jclardy
macrumors 68020

I checked out the hardware on the Logitech and the other dual stick one (I forget the brand.) The logitech one felt fairly solid, but having no analog sticks was a huge miss. Still felt like it could easily snap in half.

The one with the dual sticks felt really cheap. At a $50 price point I would consider it, but at double that it is just too cheap feeling. Maybe they could build a $40 one without the battery inside. The other problem was the analog sticks - they are similar to the 3DS which is good, but they have almost zero travel. Basically that means it only acts as a slightly more accurate d-pad - any direction but either on or off.

They had a third xbox-style controller that was much larger, that one felt a ton better. Still ergonomically not as good as an actual xbox controller, but felt more worth the price.

I think we just need a catalyst from Apple themselves - games on Apple TV. Maybe their own hardware to bring up the quality of third party devices and increase their relevance. Right now they are too niche to hit a decent price/quality ratio.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 09:22 AM   #17
Skika
macrumors 68020

No analog sticks.

Why?

Also all i want is a bluetooth controller dualshock copy that works with iphone and ipad for 40$.

Will any company provide anything like that?
Old Dec 6, 2013, 09:33 AM   #18
portishead
Banned

Just make a Bluetooth controller and be done with it. I don't need a huge long controller to fit a phone into.
portishead is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 09:35 AM   #19
Xenious
macrumors 6502a

Hopeful

Looks like a 3rd pic got dropped from the article but the tweet had one more showing the other side of the controller. I'm hopeful Razer can do something cooler than the previous offerings. Also hoping the drop the battery and make the controller cost a bit less than the others that seemed overpriced.
Xenious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 09:55 AM   #20
VanillaCracker
macrumors 65816

Finally a real gaming company makes a controller. Razer stuff is generally top notch. If you ignore some of the kinks that usually happen with most products

----------

This controller also looks like it has a speak built in. Thank god, because the iPhone's speaker design doesn't work for shiit when it comes to games
VanillaCracker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 10:28 AM   #21
NameUndecided
macrumors 6502a

I've kind of wanted to get an iCade 8-Bitty controller for the past year, but never brought myself to it because I knew I'd barely use it. But I've checked to see how much they're selling it for every so often.

I've noticed in the past 1-2 months that the price for it went way down, like clearance level near-half-price, (and I surprisingly still didn't think it was worth buying), and now it seems to be completely unavailable on their site.

So I would think, and I much hope, that they're going to release a revised MFi version at some point soon. I really like the design of it -- like an NES controller with SNES buttons -- and it's likely the controller I would get if it was compatible with all of these MFi games.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 11:17 AM   #22
turbineseaplane
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to turbineseaplane Send a message via Yahoo to turbineseaplane Send a message via Skype™ to turbineseaplane
What a mess.

Every one of these controllers seem to have a different configuration.
What a total mess.

Are game devs supposed to make configurations to support *all* of the hardware controllers that get released?

Also, am I missing the app store search filter that tells you which games support hardware controllers?
Sure would be nice.
turbineseaplane is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 11:26 AM   #23
attila
macrumors 6502

I'm not sure why you'd want to tilt the screen the DS and PSP do just fine without that...

+ IFF it doesn't use bluetooth
+ IFF it it's cheaper and less plastic than the logitech

– No analogue sticks
Old Dec 6, 2013, 11:30 AM   #24
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Raising the screen up like that seems like it would make the controls awkward to reach... maybe if it raises up above the controls and then tilts up (think GameBoy DS or SP) it might work well...
Would be nice if the controller's buttons let you move through the game's menus.
Kilamite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 11:54 AM   #25
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasqualino View Post
i don't see a directional pad
Well, there is one. Click on the twitter link.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post
No analog sticks.

Why?

Also all i want is a bluetooth controller dualshock copy that works with iphone and ipad for 40$.

Will any company provide anything like that?
The original isn't even that. $55 for a decent PS3 controller.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion