Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pasqualino

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2013
with apple now supporting third-parties in developing external game controllers, i can't help but assume that they have bigger plans for gaming.

it seems to me that they are just testing the waters right now in a very clever way. by allowing third-parties to launch their controllers first, apple can see how strong demand is. in addition, many apps are being updated to support apple's standard for game controllers. should apple launch their own dedicated gaming device, they'd already have a decent amount of supported games.

i just don't see apple letting third-parties reap all of the hardware profits should demand be high. after all, they want to control the entire experience. my guess is that apple will launch a device of their own along with an updated apple tv to work seamlessly with the new "gaming" device. what are your thoughts? :apple:

Last edited:

Espeonia

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2013
Really, all I want on my iPod is a media control button underneath the volume controls. There are earbuds and headphones with a media control button (wherein one click = play/pause, 2 = next, etc.), but it would be more convenient if there was a button on the device for this. I'd use it a lot.

As far as game controllers go, I don't see the point in using a mobile device for gaming, but that's just me, I guess.

pasqualino

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2013
Really, all I want on my iPod is a media control button underneath the volume controls. There are earbuds and headphones with a media control button (wherein one click = play/pause, 2 = next, etc.), but it would be more convenient if there was a button on the device for this. I'd use it a lot.

As far as game controllers go, I don't see the point in using a mobile device for gaming, but that's just me, I guess.

i find myself wanting a media control button as well. as for game controls, i think it would work particularly well with a television interface (perhaps something that is hard to achieve with touch alone). so you'd have a device that you could use on the go, as well as with your television.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I, too, personally the reason i dont buy the touch is because there is no physical pause/play on the device. The bundle earpiece has no control on it. Dont want to press home button all the time. They should make it like the one on newest nano over even better a dedicate forward/backward track on the otherside (opposite of the volume which they currently keep it empty)

Dont tell me to get a nano because its too expensive for what it does, pure multimedia player.

As for gaming, I dont think the physical button control thingy would sell well. Most game, famous game are designed for touch control eg. fruit ninja, PVZ, Infinity blade series. Plus mobile games are games you play while waiting for doctor appointment, on a train, in the bathroom.. whatsoever. The quality is not good and it certainly serve it purposes, to kill time.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Don't expect one. I think Apple is finished with iPods now. Just look at how small the last update was, I think they just added a new color and that was it.

With iPads and iPhone sales being a hug part of Apples sales, the iPod is decreasing in sales every year.

The lack of controls is why I rarely used my iPhone as a music player in my car. I always used my iPod Classic.

I do like using my iPhone via bluetooth through my car because when I start the car, my music will automatically start playing and turning off the car will pause it.

pasqualino

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2013
Don't expect one. I think Apple is finished with iPods now. Just look at how small the last update was, I think they just added a new color and that was it.

With iPads and iPhone sales being a hug part of Apples sales, the iPod is decreasing in sales every year.

The lack of controls is why I rarely used my iPhone as a music player in my car. I always used my iPod Classic.

I do like using my iPhone via bluetooth through my car because when I start the car, my music will automatically start playing and turning off the car will pause it.

sorry, to be clear, i'm not necessarily talking about the ipod touch. it could be marketed under a different umbrella altogether. i just don't see it being marketed using the iphone brand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.