Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZeppeZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2013
Posting the same as I posted in the Macbook Air thread.

Hey guys!

Im really considering getting a MBA 11" but cant decide to go with the baseline model or upgrading it(i7, 8gb and 256gb SSD)
The reason for not going 13" or MBP retina 13" is because of the portability of the 11" and that I'll be carrying it in my "man purse" back and forth from school.

With the base line model of MBA 11" I presume its "enough" for school stuff(you know, word and youtube ofc:p) and watching movies in 720p ?

The reason why im considering to upgrade, is that I like the idea of having one "main" computer and not a laptop and then another computer at home.
So was wondering how the performance of the MBA 11" with an external display 1920x1080 is? for both random surfing, movies and gaming.

The games Im currently playing is:
CS:GO, League of Legends, World of Warcraft, EVE Online.

Will the MBA 11" with all the upgrades be able to play these games on a 27" 1080p external display and what about newer more "harder" games like BF4 etc. ? (low-medium graphics on these games)

My setup will be:
Macbook Air 11" i7, 8gb and 256gb
Belkin Thunderbolt express dock
Henge Dock for the MBA 11"
27" external monitor
External HDD for extra storage

Summary:
Will the upgraded MBA 11" with a 27" external monitor play movies/games at a reasonable fps?
Should I go for the baseline model and have one computer at home and one laptop?

Regards,
ZeppeZ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.