Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Well typical. iPhone is a few weeks out of warranty and just today, I noticed my phone wouldn't charge after being plugged in half the day. It was about down to 10% and it died pretty quick after that in standby. I noticed it was warmer than usual. Now I just plug it in the charger or computer and the battery stays low and will not charge at all. I can't tell if the computer is even recognizing it since it won't charge up.

I've tried with a few different thunderbolt cables and chargers and my computer. It just get really warm and won't charge up.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I'd take it in to Apple and see what they say. Maybe they'll replace it for your out of warranty. If they don't, they may tell you WHAT is wrong with it and you can order the parts and do the repair yourself.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I've tried the hard reset and I just blew out all the ports with compressed air.

I just have the black screen with a dead battery telling me to insert the cable to charge it. Plug it in and it just shows the low/empty battery and it won't charge.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I'd take it in to Apple and see what they say. Maybe they'll replace it for your out of warranty. If they don't, they may tell you WHAT is wrong with it and you can order the parts and do the repair yourself.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio

Um. Why did you copy and paste a previouos response? :confused:

I wonder if it has to do with the .3 update?

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Because it sounds like a hardware issue, take it in to Apple for their opinion. If it's busted they'll tell you, they may even offer an OoW replacement.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Well I got it up to like 25% charge and took it off since I shut down my computer. The battery went down quick as I noticed it got extremely hot in my pocket and was down below 10%. I've already shut down all apps running in the background so I don't know if it's software or hardware now.

It died within minutes of that and when I plugged it back it, the white screen with the Apple logo pops up for a few seconds and turns off and repeats over and over.

I was able to sync it one last time so I'm just gonna go to the Apple store and get a new one today.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Figured I'd put it in DFU mode and restore it. At least now I can see if the unlock works since I never restored it before to activate the unlock. It's restoring right now.

I will post back what happens.

Jacksonc

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2013
Jony's house
Ahh, I know the problem. You stated that you used several thunderbolt cables. That must have caused a severe problem on the charging port. That's bad. Try using lightning next time! LOL

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Well it was the battery. Just installed a new battery and did a full restore. Now it's working beautifully again.

Kinda funny how the battery dies a few weeks out of warranty. Guess Apple sent my phone a kill battery command to force me to upgrade :D

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Well typical. iPhone is a few weeks out of warranty and just today, I noticed my phone wouldn't charge after being plugged in half the day. It was about down to 10% and it died pretty quick after that in standby. I noticed it was warmer than usual. Now I just plug it in the charger or computer and the battery stays low and will not charge at all. I can't tell if the computer is even recognizing it since it won't charge up.

I've tried with a few different thunderbolt cables and chargers and my computer. It just get really warm and won't charge up.

That sounds like symptoms of getting it wet... I did kill the lightning port on my first iPhone 5 though. It stopped charging or would need multiple plug-ins to charge. It was within the first 6 months of owning the phone so I got it replaced.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
That sounds like symptoms of getting it wet... I did kill the lightning port on my first iPhone 5 though. It stopped charging or would need multiple plug-ins to charge. It was within the first 6 months of owning the phone so I got it replaced.
My phone's never gotten wet. I checked the water marks and none were set off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.