Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:26 AM   #1
TheFallGuy
macrumors member

iPod Update Failure

Ok, I have an old iPod (10 GB dock connector) purchased in 9-2003. For the most part it works great. Last night I downloaded some music from iTunes and I get this message when I hook up my iPod to update it:

Quote:
Some of the songs in the iTunes music library were not copied to the iPod "***" because your iPod software is too old. Go to www.apple.com/ipod to get the latest iPod software update.
The music I just purchased will not go onto the iPod. So, I checked the software on my iPod and find that I've got v. 2.2 on it, but I need 2.3 according to the site. I download the iPodUpdater2005-11-17.dmg and clicked through the files. My OS is Mac OS X 10.3.9 (7W98), so everything should be hunky dory right? Well, I start to run the updater and I click through it, get through the Intro, Read Me, License, and Select Destination. At this point it says that I'm custom installing onto my mac, but it won't let me check the boxes for the iPod Updater 2005-11-17 or System UI Server (whatever that is). It says the action is disabled. The only button on the bottom available is "Go Back".

Apparently I'm supposed to update the software on my iPod, but I'm not being allowed to. How can I update the software when it won't allow me to do it? I would really love to throw that music on there asap. Anybody have any suggestions or ideas on how to fix this problem?
TheFallGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 02:13 PM   #2
TheFallGuy
macrumors member

*bump*

Help!!! Please!
TheFallGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 06:50 PM   #3
kaymac
macrumors newbie

me too

I too have an old iPod and got the "You must update your software to use iTunes songs" message and I too cannot get the latest updater to recognize that my iPod is plugged in. ##$%#^!!!

I will be interested if you find a solution to this.....
kaymac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 01:22 AM   #4
MrsKMusto
macrumors newbie

I had the EXACT same problem with the whole updating thing...first it was the same message about adding iTunes to the iPod and then the apple.com website was not working...I ended up re-registering an account so I could update software...sometimes you need to make sure that iTunes does not open up when you plug in the iPod to update. It happened to me so when I closed iTunes after it automatically opened and tried the update again it worked.
MrsKMusto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 07:52 AM   #5
kaymac
macrumors newbie

Solution found

This worked for me:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61937

N.B. That I actually had to re-install 10.3.9. I was already at 10.3.9 and figured I could get by with just dumping the iPod.kext but the updater still wouldn't work after. E/thing worked fine once I reinstalled 10.3.9 as linked to from the page ref'd above.

Keith
kaymac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod