Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andy000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
So I need to restore my iPhone and can't use a backup because 'm guessing whatever is corrupted and taking up space on my phone has been backed up too so I'm just going to start from scratch and wipe my phone therefore losing all my texts.

I've been searching and reading a few things online about getting to your backup data on a Mac (I'm using my Macbook Air) where you can then extract the particular files that are your texts. Well I've found that folder finally, it wasn't where every post I read said it'd be, but having just checked again whilst typing this it now IS where the sites say to find it so I have no idea anymore lol, but it's under: /Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/ and there are 2 folders in there, one seems to be all my old iPhone 3G stuff and one is my iPhone 5 stuff which is what I want. But now the main part, it has 10,090 items in it all named something like '00a49b16703361aa90a60aa212f2e8c1fef5c104' for example and I'm supposed to find this 1 specific file that is my texts in all of this.

So does anyone have any idea or help on how to find it exactly?
Any help is seriously welcome, the other sites all have different methods that either cost money or just aren't explained properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.