Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ak95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2013
Hi guys

I've had my 2013 MBA with 8gb ram and 128gb storage since the launch but recently when I check the storage of my mac through about this mac it says i have 6gb remaining with the majority of memory being taken up by other? What is classed as other? The largest things I have on my mac are videos and pictures but they only take up 30gb and the only other things I have are a few documents, no games or applications downloaded. How can I decrease the amount of memory being taken up? Any help would be appreciated :)

Akeel

Ak95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2013
Try Omni Disk Sweeper to find out where your storage is going. There are a number of other tools available, this one just happens to be my preference.

I've already used that and according to it I only have used 90gb of storage which is not what about my mac says.

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
I've already used that and according to it I only have used 90gb of storage which is not what about my mac says.

If you would, post the output. Here's what ODS says about my 256 gig MBP without drilling into /Users/john.

Attachments

• OmniDiskSweeper1.jpg
    OmniDiskSweeper1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 98
  • OmniDiskSweeper2.jpg
    OmniDiskSweeper2.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 104

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi guys

I've had my 2013 MBA with 8gb ram and 128gb storage since the launch but recently when I check the storage of my mac through about this mac it says i have 6gb remaining with the majority of memory being taken up by other? What is classed as other? The largest things I have on my mac are videos and pictures but they only take up 30gb and the only other things I have are a few documents, no games or applications downloaded. How can I decrease the amount of memory being taken up? Any help would be appreciated :)

Akeel

If you have Time Machine turned on, it could be space used by local backups.

Run the command below in Terminal and post up the output. That will show all folders and the size of each in GB. It takes a couple minutes for the command to finish, so just give it time.

Code:
sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g /

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.