Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meandmyiphone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
How long after getting ATT Next until you can unlock and switch to TMobile?

I have a contract with 9 months to go but a couple of lines that are not on contract and can be upgraded now.

Thanks, in advance, for assistance.

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California

I have a contract with 9 months to go but a couple of lines that are not on contract and can be upgraded now.

From everything I've read, they won't unlock a Next device until it has been completely paid off (for obvious reasons).

meandmyiphone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
But does that mean that I could pay it off after a few months and then get it unlocked? thanks

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
But does that mean that I could pay it off after a few months and then get it unlocked? thanks

Honestly, you aren't under contact so they should unlock it if you ask. You can try to get it unlocked now and see:

http://www.att.com/deviceunlock

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012

why not just buy a tmobile phone?

meandmyiphone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
have 9 months left on a couple of lines on 5 line family plan. In 9 months, all are free to move.

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California
have 9 months left on a couple of lines on 5 line family plan. In 9 months, all are free to move.

Honestly, you haven't done a good job at all of explaining what exactly you're trying to do, and why.

But like I said, they will not unlock an edge phone unless it's paid off.

Why don't you just call ATT instead of asking random people on the internet?

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
so you would rather pay more for the phone by buying on edge than just buying it yourself unlocked at full retail?

How is it paying more? I thought the next plan just divided the cost into monthly payments. I didn't think the monthly payments were more than the unlocked cost.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
How is it paying more? I thought the next plan just divided the cost into monthly payments. I didn't think the monthly payments were more than the unlocked cost.

You aren't paying anymore and either way, the T-Mobile iPhone will end up unlocked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.