Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scissorband

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
For the 3rd gen iPad, how can I disable the webcam so it can't be turned on at all? I read news articles today about people that can activate your webcam remotely without the webcam light turning on and this makes me a little paranoid, so I'd like to disable the webcam altogether since I rarely use the webcam on the iPad (in fact, I don't think I've ever used it once since I've gotten it).

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
For the 3rd gen iPad, how can I disable the webcam so it can't be turned on at all? I read news articles today about people that can activate your webcam remotely without the webcam light turning on and this makes me a little paranoid, so I'd like to disable the webcam altogether since I rarely use the webcam on the iPad (in fact, I don't think I've ever used it once since I've gotten it).

Webcam light? What webcam light? iPads don't have any webcam lights.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Yup a nice electrical black tape will do the job, but then you have the microphone too lol... I guess more tape will do the trick

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
For my MacBook Pros, I take a hole-punch and some black electrical tape. Makes a perfect circular bit of tape to fit over the camera. I don't bother with my iPad because I use it often for FaceTime.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
i stick some tape over the cameras on all my devices except the main camera on the iPhone. People were laughing at me when I did this years ago but now a lot more people have stickers over their cameras. I especially cover the camera on the work computer because there I'm sure they can watch if they want to.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA

There is no way that anybody access your iPad remotely, much less take control of the camera.

TheAnvil

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
I know Flash has exploits that can enable your webcam.

I very much doubt that something like this can happen on an iOS device.

But if you're paranoid, black tape or white paint:)

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I think he is a thief that stole an iPad and heard about the find my iPhone feature which takes a picture of the person who stole the iPad with the webcam.

He is trying to not get found by the owner of the iPad he stole.

The Flying Kite

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2012
I think he is a thief that stole an iPad and heard about the find my iPhone feature which takes a picture of the person who stole the iPad with the webcam.

He is trying to not get found by the owner of the iPad he stole.

Find My iPhone doesn't have that kind of feature.

SenorDD

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
On your computer yes, but unless your ipad is jail broken, it's not possible to remotely access the webcam.

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
Lol... That's not going to happen on an iPad that hasn't been jail broken. It might happen on a computer though. Either cover it up with tape or wear a paper bag over your head every time you use it.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Find My iPhone doesn't have that kind of feature.

Correct. There is software for laptops to do that (Orbicule), but not Find My iPhone AFAIK.

All the reports I've read were of thieves taking pictures of themselves when the device was configured to upload pictures to PhotoStream.

Anyway, if you're worried about it, use a sticker or a piece of gaffers tape (better than electrical tape IMHO).

Last edited:

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007

What are you doing in front of your iPad, or Mac that would be incriminating? ;)

Suggestion? Stop doing that. :p

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Tape is a good idea but maybe not electrical since it can leave an ugly residue. Gaffers tape would be better or any tape that is "wall safe."

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

No posts for a year and then this three times with in five minutes.

Smells like troll

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Did the OP just mention "webcam light"? Where on earth have iPads ever had webcam lights?

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
This article is talking about PCs not iPads. Such a thing is not possible with an iPad. Some of you are watching too much NCIS.

You really trust these people not to have figured out how to do that on a tablet as well?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.