Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Dec 20, 2005, 02:40 PM   #1
mac41099
macrumors newbie

iPod video and ripping DVDs help

I own a nano, but just won an MP3 at my work party. I was thinking of selling the nano (2GB, black, 1 month old, no scratches) and returning the MP3 and getting a 5G 30GB.

I would want to rip DVDs to it. I have Windows XP Home on my desktop and laptop. Both are 1 year old machines with decent speed and memory.

I don't know how to rip DVDs. I saw postings on how it is done, but if I were to attempt this as a beginner, how easy is it and what tips would you have for me with no knowledge of this stuff?

Any suggestions would help.

Thanks
Mac
mac41099 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 03:47 PM   #2
Piarco
macrumors 68030

No idea about XP ripping I'm afraid as I'm Mac only these days (I think a couple of peeps on these forums may be ) but if you check the stickies on iLounge they will be of great help. Go here: http://forums.ilounge.com/forumdispl...?s=&forumid=91
Great tutorials on how to rip your DVD's how to encode them correctly and what software you need.
Piarco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 04:16 PM   #3
fradac
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to fradac Send a message via MSN to fradac Send a message via Yahoo to fradac
you can use a program called DVD shrink, look for it its free online.

and goto the preferences and uncheck the option to split files greater than 1GB. that way when you rip your DVD you will have a single file for your Movie.

now you can use the videora ipod converter to convert that that file for the ipod.

hope this helps.
fradac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 04:39 PM   #4
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

Google it and you will find it. Too bad it is illegal to copy DVDs to your iPod for your own use. You probably can find tons of software at your local computer store to help you if it was legit. For Mac users, it would be cool to have it part of iLife '06.
BornAgainMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 05:15 PM   #5
turtlemh
macrumors member

use a program called dvdfab decrypter to burn the dvd on to your computer then use Videora iPod Converter to put it in m4 format then import it into itunes. Both of these programs are free and easy enough to use for xp.
turtlemh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:11 PM   #6
drater
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to drater
these seem to be windows applications...anyone know a good mac application?
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:23 PM   #7
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Send a message via Skype™ to ~Shard~
Quote:
Originally Posted by drater
these seem to be windows applications...anyone know a good mac application?
Of course - Mac the Ripper or Handbrake. iSquint is also a very useful little app designed specifically for porting videos to your iPod.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:38 PM   #8
drater
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to drater
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Shard~
Of course - Mac the Ripper or Handbrake. iSquint is also a very useful little app designed specifically for porting videos to your iPod.
I have another post here that is kinda the same thing, I have a used dvd i bought from a store and it won't copy via handbrake or mactheripper....please refer to my other posting, let me know if you can help..... http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=168223
Old Dec 21, 2005, 05:26 AM   #9
InfiniteLoop1
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac41099
I own a nano, but just won an MP3 at my work party. I was thinking of selling the nano (2GB, black, 1 month old, no scratches) and returning the MP3 and getting a 5G 30GB.

I would want to rip DVDs to it. I have Windows XP Home on my desktop and laptop. Both are 1 year old machines with decent speed and memory.

I don't know how to rip DVDs. I saw postings on how it is done, but if I were to attempt this as a beginner, how easy is it and what tips would you have for me with no knowledge of this stuff?

Any suggestions would help.

Thanks
Mac
by a mac and use Handbrake
Old Dec 21, 2005, 12:10 PM   #10
mac41099
macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll look at that DVDFab Decrypter and the Videora.
mac41099 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 12:21 PM   #11
dynamicd
macrumors 6502

I'm not doubting you, but how is ripping a DVD you own, so you can use it on your ipod, illegal?
dynamicd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 12:26 PM   #12
Nickygoat
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicd
I'm not doubting you, but how is ripping a DVD you own, so you can use it on your ipod, illegal?
See Chundles' post in the linked thread above.
Breaking the DVD encryption violates the DMCA.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 12:53 PM   #13
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickygoat
Breaking the DVD encryption violates the DMCA.
That's the point. It's not ripping a DVD that is illegal, it's removing the CSS encryption.

There are many non-CSS encrpyted discs out there, including the discs produced by stand alone DVD recorders and mini-DVD camcorders. How does ripping these DVDs to an iPod compatible format violate the DMCA?

B
Old Dec 21, 2005, 01:04 PM   #14
Nickygoat
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw
That's the point. It's not ripping a DVD that is illegal, it's removing the CSS encryption.

There are many non-CSS encrpyted discs out there, including the discs produced by stand alone DVD recorders and mini-DVD camcorders. How does ripping these DVDs to an iPod compatible format violate the DMCA?

B
AFAIK ripping a non CSS encrypted disc doesn't break the DMCA *waits for someone to say otherwise* for that reason.
Ripping a commercial DVD to your hard drive and then putting it on your iPod does violate the DMCA - but they have to find you .
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 01:54 PM   #15
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickygoat
Ripping a commercial DVD to your hard drive and then putting it on your iPod does violate the DMCA
I have seen a few commercial DVDs that don't use CSS for one reason or another. IMHO ripping these doesn't violate the DMCA, but fall under the aegis of good old fashioned Copyright Law, which has enough fair use exceptions. Of course IANAL, so I could be wrong.

B
Old Dec 21, 2005, 04:33 PM   #16
Chundles
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicd
It just is. Unless it's your own footage that you have shot, ripping a DVD is illegal. No "ifs" no "buts" it is illegal.

But it's damned cool to be able to do.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod