Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
I'm pretty sure most infomercials are phony. The reactions always seem too big or ill timed. But, I wonder if standup comedy specials are real laugh reactions or not.

Do pros just shoot a lot of audience shots and then cut them in as needed? Or is an effort made to use realtime shots?

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
It depends on the show, I'm sure. I was in the audience of The Daily Show and even though they didn't show up, they definitely used our laughs.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
I'm pretty sure most infomercials are phony. The reactions always seem too big or ill timed. But, I wonder if standup comedy specials are real laugh reactions or not.

Do pros just shoot a lot of audience shots and then cut them in as needed? Or is an effort made to use realtime shots?

I'm sure some editors will just throw in some audience b-roll for coverage if they don't have anything else. But I imagine most larger scale live performances are shot and edited multi-camera. So the reactions you're seeing are likely authentic.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'm sure some editors will just throw in some audience b-roll for coverage if they don't have anything else. But I imagine most larger scale live performances are shot and edited multi-camera. So the reactions you're seeing are likely authentic.

Yes authentic and shot live but. Many times they have large lighted signs near the stage just off camera that they can turn on and off that way "applause" or "laugh" or whatever. Yes sometime they queue the live audience. It's common on game shows and cooking shows and like that.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
Yes authentic and shot live but. Many times they have large lighted signs near the stage just off camera that they can turn on and off that way "applause" or "laugh" or whatever. Yes sometime they queue the live audience. It's common on game shows and cooking shows and like that.

Of course, for stuff shot in studio. But for something like a stand up comedy special it's extremely unlikely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.