Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drater

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
The bowels of CT
I just bought a used movie from blockbuster, and i'm having trouble ripping it using handbrake (says it can't find a title or something like that). I tried ripping it via mactheripper then to handbrake, but got the same error...anyone help?

drater

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
The bowels of CT
no, i bought, i own it, i'm allowed to back up any sort of copy i want as long as i don't give it to unknown people (file sharing) or sell it.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
drater said:
no, i bought, i own it, i'm allowed to back up any sort of copy i want as long as i don't give it to unknown people (file sharing) or sell it.
Oh, sorry, I thought you were renting it.

What movie was it? It might have been encrypted against copying it.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
drater said:

No you're not. IIt is illegal to rip a DVD for any reason under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Bypassing a DVD's copyright protection/encoding it to another format is totally illegal. Ripping a CD for backup/personal use is legal in the US (although not here) but doing so to a DVD is absolutely illegal.

However, I've found that sometimes there are just some DVD's that won't work with Handbrake. I had trouble with one such DVD so I just left it for a while, then a new version of Handbrake came out and it worked. Yup, scratching my head still over that one. My advice is to just let it go and try when a new Handbrake comes out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.