Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EGS1550

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
Hello. I have had a hard time finding out the proper way of doing this.

I have a Macpro 1,1 which I am retiring and replacing with a new imac. The original machine was purchased from macmall with parallels and windows xp preinstalled. I want to be able to remove windows from the macpro and reinstall both parallels and windows on my new imac.

I am going to assume that when I try to install windows on the new imac, Microsoft will assume this is piracy and prevent me from installing on a completely new drive. What do i need to do to make this work? I won't ever use Windows on the old machine as it will be removed entirely

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2011
New England
You need the original Install Disks and Serial Numbers to install it. If you didn't receive them with the computer, you need buy the copies yourself.

EGS1550

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
You need the original Install Disks and Serial Numbers to install it. If you didn't receive them with the computer, you need buy the copies yourself.

Thanks. I do have those and that is not my concern. I recall reading years ago that any major changes to your computer and the servers at MS are triggered and you cannot run/install Windows on the machine without some extra steps

So since this Windows install is going on an entirely new drive (SSD) i imagine that it may give me errors unless I somehow make it ignore the old drive. Almost like deauthorizing in itunes. Is there an equivalent for a windows install? I don't want to have to purchase a new windows os all over again

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Someone else may be able to tell you if you can even install WinXP on a brand new Mac. Probably in a virtual machine, using Paralells, etc.

As far as the Microsoft COA, I have done this a few times, when replacing motherboards in a repair shop. You would call Microsoft, explain that you are transferring Windows to another computer, give them your present code, and they will respond with a new code to use, which will allow you to install again.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Thanks. I do have those and that is not my concern. I recall reading years ago that any major changes to your computer and the servers at MS are triggered and you cannot run/install Windows on the machine without some extra steps

So since this Windows install is going on an entirely new drive (SSD) i imagine that it may give me errors unless I somehow make it ignore the old drive. Almost like deauthorizing in itunes. Is there an equivalent for a windows install? I don't want to have to purchase a new windows os all over again

Ran into this issue when I had an iMac replaced by Apple due to many repair issues. When I went to install Windows on the new iMac it would not recognize the product key I had. But a window appeared with instructions and a phone number to call that stated I needed a new product key generated by MS to reactivate Windows. Phone call took about 15 minutes and I had the number I needed to complete the activation of Windows and all was good. This was a year ago now. Was easy to do. I was running Parallels 7 and Windows 7 Ultimate. Not sure if it will be same for you, but offering what the experience was for me.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
My experience has been that RETAIL copies of Windows can be moved to a new computer. It does require a phone call to Microsoft and about 15 minutes of your time.

However, System Builder (aka OEM) copies are forever locked to the first computer installed on, and attempts to re-register them with Microsoft will be refused.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.