Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DigitalDawn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
I have a jailbroken 4S on ios 5.1.1. It seems that every time I try to download a new app that it requires ios 6.0 or higher.

I really don't like ios 7, and I was wondering if there was a Cydia app that would allow 6.x ios apps to work on 5.x?

grumpygeorge

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
That isn't possible as far as I know
In the past I've got moderate success with some apps by modifying the iOS version using iFile but it was on my 3G which supports up to 4.2.1 and I changed it to 4.3, I don't know what kind of errors you might get by making such a big change.
it might help reading this thread
You're either stuck with 5.1.1 or 7 since SHSH blobs don't allow restores on the 4S

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
No.
There is modules there missing that iOS 5 does not have and the app might call for.
Even if you tricked the iOS version your iPhone can get stuck and will need a restore if you install an app not compatible with your firmware version.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Wasn't the App Store now supposed to support older versions of Apps ie. if you have an older device or an older operating system it would let you download the latest version of the app that was compatible with your iOS??

http://9to5mac.com/2013/09/17/ios-a...loads-to-support-older-hardware-and-software/

For most apps, yes. I noticed that some apps, such as dataman, do not let you

I was running iOS 6 and I must've installed it in the past since there was a cloud but when I tried to install it, it told me that I needed iOS 7 without letting me install the iOS 6 version

rak007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
I am also on iOS 5.1.1 and have same issues. Although app store does allow older versions, but some apps play dirty like Fleksy. It refuses to work unless i update it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.