Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
If your tired of Safari crashing please call Apple support and open a support ticket. Listed below are additional tips and pointers to effectively open the support ticket.

• Always be very polite and courteous
  • Insist to speak to a higher level support technician (tier 2)
  • Let them know you already tried a soft and hard system reset
  • Give specific examples when the problem occurs (Zooming/Resizing, Specific Websites, Multiple Tabs, etc)
  • Offer to run the system diagnostic tools
  • Refuse any offer to exchange or replace the device
  • Request a ticket be opened up with Apple Engineering

List of Apple Support Numbers for around the world
http://support.apple.com/kb/HE57

Or

Provide feedback here:
http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Or

Use the chat support feature which is now supported.

Please participate and help elevate the profile of this annoying issue!!!

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
So you made up a day and opted to try and get the entire world all of MacRumors to join in and clog up the phone lines by opening support tickets? Not sure this is going to have the desired results but more power to you.

Why not just open a ticket when you discover the issue?

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
My Air and my 5S crash all of the time.

The 5S is random. It doesn't care if I have 10 tabs or 1 tab.

The Air happens when I have multiple tabs open.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
So you made up a day and opted to try and get the entire world all of MacRumors to join in and clog up the phone lines by opening support tickets? Not sure this is going to have the desired results but more power to you.

Why not just open a ticket when you discover the issue?

I wish people did that very thing.

And those of us who rarely if ever have crashes, where do we call?

Go out for Chinese food instead.

chamferedmind

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2013
Wonderful idea! I'm in!

I just can't believe the behavior of some people... For god's sake, we only want a product that works! Browsing is such a basic feature!

I'm selling my iPad Air for my uncle, who like some users here, only uses the iPad for silly games, e-mail and one simple text page at time.

People should respect themselves more than companies... It's not like they're paying you a wage. It's you who's paying them.

Extreme fanboism is pathetic.

LET'S FIGHT!!! :)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I wish people did that very thing.
How do you know they're not? Rallying people to contact Apple on a particular day is not the way to handle technical problems. Apple already has a clearly defined method for handling support requests and feedback. You're not going to accomplish anything by circumventing Apple's established procedures.

chamferedmind

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2013
How do you know they're not? Rallying people to contact Apple on a particular day is not the way to handle technical problems. Apple already has a clearly defined method for handling support requests and feedback. You're not going to accomplish anything by circumventing Apple's established procedures.

One of those procedures is giving us useless 1GB of RAM for a super high resolution tablet that can cost you almost 1 grand.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
One of those procedures is giving us useless 1GB of RAM for a super high resolution tablet that can cost you almost 1 thousand grand.
That's not going to change because you complain about it. The solution is for those who don't like the specs to not buy the iPad. It's been well known for a very long time what the specs are, so there's no excuse for someone who buys without checking to see what they're buying.

chamferedmind

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2013
That's not going to change because you complain about it. The solution is for those who don't like the specs to not buy the iPad. It's been well known for a very long time what the specs are, so there's no excuse for someone who buys without checking to see what they're buying.

It has the same RAM specs of my iPad 4 and I didn't have those problems, except for some occasional reloading.

And yes, complaining will possibly change it if people less like you do help us out instead of wanting everyone to just give up.

----------

1 grand = 1 thousand..

1 thousand grand = 1 MILLION....

is your device solid gold?

Fixed. But I bet Apple did get that million from the bunch of idiots who got 1GB RAM for two generations of the device.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It has the same RAM specs of my iPad 4 and I didn't have those problems, except for some occasional reloading.

And yes, complaining will possibly change it if people less like you do help us out instead of wanting everyone to just give up.
There is no way you'll rally people in large enough numbers to make a difference. Even if you got every active member of this forum to participate, that's still a microscopic percentage of iOS users worldwide. If you want to try, knock yourself out. It's just wasted effort, but if it makes you feel good, go ahead.

chamferedmind

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2013
There is no way you'll rally people in large enough numbers to make a difference. Even if you got every active member of this forum to participate, that's still a microscopic percentage of iOS users worldwide. If you want to try, knock yourself out. It's just wasted effort, but if it makes you feel good, go ahead.

Not if the issues become news.

This is the "Low Memory Gate". "You're using it wrong" is next.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
If 512 RAM (or less)could keep multiple windows open on older versions.... And Chrome can keep multiple windows open on the Air....

One would think it's a Safari issue... and not a RAM issue

chamferedmind

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2013
If 512 RAM (or less)could keep multiple windows open on older versions.... And Chrome can keep multiple windows open on the Air....

One would think it's a Safari issue... and not a RAM issue

I could go on explaining the technicals behind this, but I already did, like others.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18478065/

Anyway, it is related to low memory and and so, memory is RAM.

Something has to be done or acknowledged by Apple.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Safari never crashes on you? Truly?
The only time Safari crashes on my original iPad Mini running iOS 6 is when I repeatedly have open 20+ tabs with high picture/video content, and even then, it only happens once every few hours, after opening hundreds of such pages. When it closes, I simply reopen it and I have all the same tabs that were open when I closed it, so I don't lose anything. It's hardly worth fussing about.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Safari never crashes on you? Truly?

I said rarely. I use my iPads a LOT, and on occasion I will run into a site that crashes Safari. Maybe once or twice a week? I usually try iCab or Chrome and it works.

I've also run into the issue where I have an unfinished post, and I load another page to research something, and when I come back it reloads the page and I lose what I have typed. It doesn't happen always, but it does happen. So I've made a habit of copying my post text into the clipboard if I have typed a lot and don't want to lose it. The same thing happens in IE with an application at work.

That is a far cry from these claims of the iPad being "unusable". At least for me.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've also run into the issue where I have an unfinished post, and I load another page to research something, and when I come back it reloads the page and I lose what I have typed. It doesn't happen always, but it does happen. So I've made a habit of copying my post text into the clipboard if I have typed a lot and don't want to lose it.
That has happened to me a couple times. Copying to the clipboard helps, except in the case where you go to another tab to copy a link... you lose the text you copied. The solution I found is before you leave the tab where you're composing a response, click "Preview Post". Then when you come back to the page, your composition is still there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.