Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
Hi guys,

Question is in the title really, is there a difference between the battery life of a MacBook Retina 13' 2013 Haswell 256GB and a 512GB?

I know the 256GB drives are faster than the 128GB SSDs, but are the 512's faster or slower?

Thanks

AndrewMRiv

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2013
Hi guys,

Question is in the title really, is there a difference between the battery life of a MacBook Retina 13' 2013 Haswell 256GB and a 512GB?

I know the 256GB drives are faster than the 128GB SSDs, but are the 512's faster or slower?

Thanks

I can't offer you any real world experience stories since I have never owned a 15" MacBook Pro, but this is what the website currently says (13 on the left and 15 on the right):

rnox.jpg

mac8867

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
LOL... title says it all, yet you ask about speed... had to laugh.

Battery power - unimpacted by the size of the SSD. Remember, these drives are D-Latch memory chips, not spinning platters. There are probably great benchmarks around showing how they use less power than platter drives etc etc... but I wouldn't expect you to find any evidence that a 512 GB SSD uses more or less power than a 128 GB.

As for performance... that is a completely different question, and quite honestly, handled by many threads in this forum with extensive analysis.

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
LOL... title says it all, yet you ask about speed... had to laugh.

Battery power - unimpacted by the size of the SSD. Remember, these drives are D-Latch memory chips, not spinning platters. There are probably great benchmarks around showing how they use less power than platter drives etc etc... but I wouldn't expect you to find any evidence that a 512 GB SSD uses more or less power than a 128 GB.

As for performance... that is a completely different question, and quite honestly, handled by many threads in this forum with extensive analysis.

Haha, sorry, was going to ask about speed as well.

So battery life isn't really impacted at all then?

And lastly, I see that you're using an i7 rMBP, how's the battery life on that as I too want to upgrade it to an i7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.