Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
England
Welcome to this week's photo contest thread.

The theme this week is "Hard work". Interpret it how you will.

Rules:
You may only submit one photo per contest.

Please do not comment or use voting button on photos until after the judging has taken place.

The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision).

The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme).

To see all of our past contests please see the sticky thread

Last edited:

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
Taken in Indonesia, this a sulphur miner at the Ijen plateau. They walk 3km up a mountain, then a further 1km in to the crater, load up to 90 kg of sulphur in to their baskets, and make the hike back again. All for about £2.50 per trip.

Alex

my2e6u6u.jpg

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
jq7w.jpg

Admittedly, he had paused for breath when I took the photo!

MacRy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
England
Ok contest is over. I'll get to judging this evening when I return from work.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
England

Lovely sharp shot. Black and white suits it. Would have been nice to see a bit of dynamism in it with some motion blur or something.

Great shot here. I love the composition and the look on the lady's face. Nice colour too.

I love the look on the model's face. She's so at ease whilst doing something that looks like incredibly hard work to me. I think the vignette really works and the lighting looks good. Doesn't hurt that the model is easy on the eye either ;)

Nice composition on this one. That does sound like hard work!

Great shot! I really like the lines in this and the fact that the guy is all in shadow. Very nice.

Nicely done. I'm not a big fan of this kind of thing but you've done it really well and it fits the brief perfectly. Really good job.

I would not want to do that job! Spiral stairs always make for an interesting photo and this is no exception.

Yep, that looks like a typical British worker ;) Nice light there and I like the guy's pose. Just a shame that the background wasn't more interesting for you.

I love the expression you've captured there and the fact you've got some motion happening. I really like the lighting from the flames too.

The title of that was hard work for my brain so that certainly fulfils the brief. For me, the focus would have sat better on the text rather than the bulldog clip.

That looks like a gentleman who has worked hard for most of his life! Really good capture and I love the PP on it.

Thanks everyone for your entries this week. It was tricky for me to choose a top three because I liked so many. This is my final choice but it could easily be different tomorrow:

1st Place - Indydenny
2nd Place - jkramerbob
3rd Place - needfx

Congrats Indydenny. It's down to you to set up the next one.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Well judged MacRy! Congratulations to Indydenny and everyone :)

Lol MacRy! Typical British worker? Did you read his cart? :D

Looking forward to the next competition.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Great work everybody. I found this subject a bit of a difficult one (hence not getting round to an entry in time).

I suppose I could just say I was too busy working hard!

Congrats to the winners and looking forward to the next one.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Lol. I didn't read his cart obviously! I stand by my original comment though ;)

:)

Great work everybody. I found this subject a bit of a difficult one (hence not getting round to an entry in time).

I suppose I could just say I was too busy working hard!

Congrats to the winners and looking forward to the next one.

Or that it was just too much like hard work!

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Honestly I really liked your entry and if judging you would have won! Others were great though:). Could you share your workflow with this please? How was this done in other words?

Paul

Glad you liked it!

First of all, I would like to mention that this was a team effort.

MR photo contest has become an office thing. Some friends and acquaintances also drop in to take part. Every week we impatiently wait for the next subject to conceptualize and create, as it makes a great excuse to pull us out of the office routine and think of something else creatively challenging.

This weeks subject has been the most difficult to date to come up with an idea that was interesting visually. We have gone through various ideas such as literary depictions of paper stacks over an office worker or even a depiction of Atlas holding an earth balloon. Aforementioned lacked irony on one instance, and the other required heavy post production and outdoor photography amidst a windy week.

On the art direction side of things, we were also considering creating a modern rendition of the same concept, but the antiques added nicely to the final image and overall production value so we didn't even bother. Original concept involved only one pair of hands, but it didn't really added to the irony, nor to the originality so we went for the multi-extremities. We tried red & black nail polishes but we went for black as both were readily available by both ladies in the pic.

This week there is only one blurry back stage photo but I uploaded some test shots (named accordingly for explanatory reasons). Giving the photo an old magazine feel was considered, but decided against it in the last moment.

equipment : canon 6d, ef 24-105L, 600 ex rt (3 pieces), st-e3 rt
exposure : 88mm, 1/4sec, f/11, iso-100
flash : A - 1/2 CTO | B - 1/4 | C - 1/16
post production : some color balance towards the red spectrum

Congrats all around!!

Attachments

• IMG_2043_no CTO.JPG
    IMG_2043_no CTO.JPG
    719.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2054.JPG
    IMG_2054.JPG
    679.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2067_with CTO.JPG
    IMG_2067_with CTO.JPG
    575.2 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2082 old mag.jpg
    IMG_2082 old mag.jpg
    936 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_9918_notes.jpg
    IMG_9918_notes.jpg
    829.1 KB · Views: 84
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.