Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DCBass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2004
Washington, DC
Hey all,

Me again with yet another question:

I tried to format my 5G iPod on my PC at work so I could use it with both pcs and macs. Bad Idea. The process didn't work, I was told to restart windows, yet the iPod still said "Do Not Disconnect". After waiting a looong time, no change, so I had no choice but to unplug it. After restarting the iPod was erased, as if brand new, and it said that it was a windows iPod.

Here's the problem: whenever I connected it to the pc, nothing but the "Do Not Disconnect", but the pc does not recognize the iPod, and I cannot even eject it properly, the system will just hang.

Bigger Problem: screw dealing with the pc crap, I wanted to format it again to my mac at home, but now my mac won't even recognize it in the finder, iTunes, or the iPod software updater. My only glimmer of hope is that the system profiler does see the iPod in the USB port, but that's all I've got going.

Any advice? I've searched all over the forums and no one's been able to address somewhat similar problems so far, so anything useful would be great.

Thanks in advance.

-DCBass

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
That's exactly the problem i'm having. I've determined mine is a dead HD though.

The only things that see it are System Profiler and Disk Utility. However Disk Utility informs me it's too messed up to repair, as does DiskWarrior.

It just freezes any PC i hook it up to.

I'm going to open it and order one of those drives offline and put it back together, i guess. It's hard as hell to open though...

DCBass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2004
Washington, DC
I'm not sure that mine is a dead HD though.

After I unplug it from the cpu (mac or pc) and reset the thing, it brings me to the normal iPod menu and works fine on its own. It just doesn't have anything on it of course.

Good luck replacing your HD though. yikes.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Yeah it certainly doesn't sound like it.

Mine gives me a folder with an exclamation point...well actually it's a friends i told i would over winter break.

smurfsgonewild

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2004
Monroe, LA
I have this same problem too. Sent it back to Apple when it was still under warranty but they said nothing was wrong with it and it happened again but of course, it was after the warranty was void. I'm trying to find my firewire cable to hook it back up to the power adapter since I finally got it to reformat but I doubt it'll do any good. I'm guessing I'll just have to splurge on a new video iPod....darn :)

crazytom

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
IL
DCBass said:
I'm not sure that mine is a dead HD though.

After I unplug it from the cpu (mac or pc) and reset the thing, it brings me to the normal iPod menu and works fine on its own. It just doesn't have anything on it of course.

Good luck replacing your HD though. yikes.

Did you use the iPod's 'Reset to factory defaults'? Sometimes that will clear things up so you can start fresh again.

gorgeous

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2006
My Ipod Won't Mount

ok so i have a 5th generation ipod and it was workin great but then it started taking long to switch songs n b4 i knew it, it wouldn't mount to my computer, i can hear the noise that lets me kno that its plugged in but nothing else, the screen displays the do not disconnect message and the battery will charge a bit. I already tried resetting it and it was of no use so basically im totally lost can somebody PLEASE TRY TO HELP ME????? I really dont wanna send it in because i dont want a refurbished one and im scared of all the what ifs that go along with doing that

iheartapples

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2006
gorgeous said:
ok so i have a 5th generation ipod and it was workin great but then it started taking long to switch songs n b4 i knew it, it wouldn't mount to my computer, i can hear the noise that lets me kno that its plugged in but nothing else, the screen displays the do not disconnect message and the battery will charge a bit. I already tried resetting it and it was of no use so basically im totally lost can somebody PLEASE TRY TO HELP ME????? I really dont wanna send it in because i dont want a refurbished one and im scared of all the what ifs that go along with doing that

I am having the EXACT same problem. I want to cry. i go from pc to mac everyday and thought maybe it had something to do with that. Mine started doing the delay between songs last week... right about the time that I nearly filled the thing to full capacity. So i took all kinds of stuff off yesterday.. worked fine.. now it's not mounting at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.