Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:33 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Shiira Browser 1.2 available now

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: Shiira Browser 1.2 available now

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:58 PM   #2
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
I added "Browser" since I didn't know if people would know that Shiira is a web browser.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 12:02 AM   #3
Superdrive
macrumors 6502a

Anyone here use this? I'm going to download it to take a look and see. It looks like it has some nice ideas. Hopefully they can implement as planned.
Superdrive is offline   0
Old Dec 21, 2005, 12:06 AM   #4
grapes911
Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

I've tried it a few times, but I've never stuck with it. I'm going to try it again only because I see much potential everytime I use it. It just never seems to stack up with Safari, Firefox, or Camino. Maybe this is the time it will finally be worth using as my primary browser.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 12:11 AM   #5
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

RSS feed reading has been added and so has a sidebar. It's really nice if you like it. Safari is still good enough for me. Shiira provides a nice sibling since it can share Safari's cookies automatically and bookmarks after a few clicks.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 12:14 AM   #6
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Does Shiira allow a custom .css à la Floppymoose?
Old Dec 21, 2005, 12:15 AM   #7
maya
macrumors 68040

Liked some neat features about it, and it will come in handy where Safari falls short.

However Safari, still has that minimal look and feel to it that I love.

:. it's here!!! .:
maya is offline   0
Old Dec 21, 2005, 12:21 AM   #8
jvaska
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to jvaska
I like the feel of this browser alot. It's just Safari with some other features. The sidebar is pretty useful. There are some preferences things that I really like as well.

Yep, it allows for custom CSS...
Old Dec 21, 2005, 12:31 AM   #9
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

In general I've found it to be a bit faster than Safari at loading pages. It slows down more than Safari when displaying image laden pages though. I forgot to mention the addition of font smoothing in my last post.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 12:32 AM   #10
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvaska
Yep, it allows for custom CSS...
Thanks...perhaps I'll check it out. I'm in my once every three months use Firefox for a while mode.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 12:37 AM   #11
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Ok I played with the font sizes some more and made it just like Safari's settings. I might just use this as my main broswer. I like the RSS feeds in the sidebar a lot.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 01:29 AM   #12
Lazyhound

I've been using this as my primary browser for a while. Beats the hell out of Safari and Camino (though I'd prefer Firefox if it weren't so slow).
Lazyhound is offline   0
Old Dec 21, 2005, 01:57 AM   #13
buryyourbrideau
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to buryyourbrideau
i like it a lot and im thinking about ditching safari and firefox for it.

however does anyone know how to get it to save a password

buryyourbrideau is offline   0
Old Dec 21, 2005, 02:44 AM   #14
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

It's still having a little trouble dealing with some RSS feeds. It's very, very close to becoming a full time Safari replacement, though.
iMeowbot is offline   0
Old Dec 21, 2005, 10:44 AM   #15
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

I love the search engine feature in the address bar. It's taken from Opera but I hated how Opera handled tabbed browsing though. I added my own search engines and keywords.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 09:32 AM   #16
Mitthrawnuruodo

Shiira is definitively starting to grow up. I'm quite impressed.

Just one issue: How to get rid of those flash based ads easily and without having to surf with plugins disabled?

I don't mind text based ads or even animated gifs, and I want to be able to access flash based sites, see quick time movies, etc. without having to toggle support for plugins in the preferences, like I did with Safari (Saft really wasn't an option as it made Safari even more unstable). This is one of the reasons why I recently switched back from Safari to Firefox.

Apart from that, Shiira looks fantastic! Love the new search bar. Makes even AcidSearch seem clumsy. Even if AcidSearch supports POST searches, while Shiira, just like Firefox engines, only seem to support GET.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:41 AM   #17
Randall
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitthrawnuruodo
Shiira is definitively starting to grow up. I'm quite impressed.

Just one issue: How to get rid of those flash based ads easily and without having to surf with plugins disabled?
Check out how to Bust Banner Ads with Proxy Auto Configuration I swear by this proxy (just a text .pac file & shell script) to rid 99% of any sort of advertisement, even flash based ones. I recommend reading the instructions throughly, then you will be enjoying web surfing in peace. All you need is a browser that can implement loading of an "Automatic Proxy Configuration Script" (.pac file). I have a custom version of this script where I've added about 10 major flash-based ad sites to the filter. If you PM me then I will send it to you.
Randall is offline   0
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:49 AM   #18
Randall
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by buryyourbrideau
i like it a lot and im thinking about ditching safari and firefox for it.

however does anyone know how to get it to save a password
Wow that is pretty serious. I would consider using it in conjunction with Safari and Firefox, as it is a fairly new browser and may not be 100% reliable. Shiira is showing lots of potential though.
Randall is offline   0
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:59 AM   #19
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

I've already ditched Safari for Shiira. The sidebar helps a lot. I love reading my RSS feeds while normally browsing.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 11:07 AM   #20
Mitthrawnuruodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall
Check out how to Bust Banner Ads with Proxy Auto Configuration I swear by this proxy (just a text .pac file & shell script) to rid 99% of any sort of advertisement, even flash based ones. I recommend reading the instructions throughly, then you will be enjoying web surfing in peace. All you need is a browser that can implement loading of an "Automatic Proxy Configuration Script" (.pac file). I have a custom version of this script where I've added about 10 major flash-based ad sites to the filter. If you PM me then I will send it to you.
Thanks, but as I said in my post above I'm not interested in blocking all ads. Just flash based ones, the rest of the ads I actually want to see.

And if it's more complicated and time consuming than using AdBlock with Firefox (and that proxy based solution looks that way) I'm not really that interested (remember I said "easily" ). And I also suspect that most of the sites providing Norwegian news sites with flash ads, which cause most annoyance for me, aren't covered by the auto config script...
Old Dec 22, 2005, 11:14 AM   #21
Randall
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Thanks, but as I said in my post above I'm not interested in blocking all ads. Just flash based ones, the rest of the ads I actually want to see.

Actually it does have some hot regular expressions that do block ads based on path and naming conventions. But I understand if it's not what you're looking for.
Randall is offline   0
Old Dec 22, 2005, 11:19 AM   #22
Aarow
macrumors 6502a

I'm new to this whole RSS thing. How do you add them to the RSS sidebar in Shiira?
Aarow is offline   0
Old Dec 22, 2005, 11:28 AM   #23
Mitthrawnuruodo

Quote:

There's nothing wrong with ads. Ads are good. You can learn about new products or bargains on old ones through ads. Ads can help you. You can actually find stuff you want, or even need, through ads.

What I don't like is friggin' CPU consuming, noisy (both sound and visually) flash ads. All the advertising executives, for all companies advertising departments, using flash ads should be made to sit in a room with bright, changing colours and at least two widely different electronica tracks playing simultaneously at max volume for at least 12 hours non-stop for a year for each different ad their company ever has released onto the net.

So, if I can get rid of just the flash ads in an easy way, Shiira looks very promising...
Old Dec 22, 2005, 12:42 PM   #24
Randall
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
So, if I can get rid of just the flash ads in an easy way, Shiira looks very promising...
You should email the creators and request this feature then. I'm sure they will at least read it and accknowledge your conserns.
Randall is offline   0
Old Dec 22, 2005, 02:23 PM   #25
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
You should email the creators and request this feature then. I'm sure they will at least read it and accknowledge your conserns.
They have a discussion board and seem to be taking suggestions. I'd love ad blocking too.

Quote:
I'm new to this whole RSS thing. How do you add them to the RSS sidebar in Shiira?
I just told Shiira to use my Safari bookmarks and it pulled my RSS feeds from there.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion