Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Hello,

Looks like I (along with a few others) will be looking for another audio streaming service since Quik.io will be shutting down.

Anybody have any recommendations?

I have used the following:

Audiogalaxy: shutdown
Quik.io: shutting down
StreamToMe: This service was horrible, and configuring has been a pain on my system

I don't want to have to jailbreak. So any non-jailbreak, recommendations are welcome!!

I do not stream movies, I only stream audio.

Playlists are not important but the ability to shuffle, skip etc are.

Thanks

chris566

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2010
Carolina
Have you tried Plex? I use streamtome most of the time. It just always works for me and the setup wasn't that difficult. I'm always looking for new media servers/streamers to try out though. If AirVideo app did audio files it would be the perfect app for me.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Have you tried Plex? I use streamtome most of the time. It just always works for me and the setup wasn't that difficult. I'm always looking for new media servers/streamers to try out though. If AirVideo app did audio files it would be the perfect app for me.

I have not. I have been looking at this though and I have a feeling this is the way I will go. Have you used Plex for just audio? How is the shuffle and search within the app?

StreamToMe has been a pain for me. I have been using it off and on for a while now. I finally gave up on it and looked for another solution. Found Quik.io and loved it from the moment I installed the app on the phone and on the computer. Setup was as easy as turning it on and launching the app. Sadly they are shutting down.

chris566

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2010
Carolina
I have not. I have been looking at this though and I have a feeling this is the way I will go. Have you used Plex for just audio? How is the shuffle and search within the app?

StreamToMe has been a pain for me. I have been using it off and on for a while now. I finally gave up on it and looked for another solution. Found Quik.io and loved it from the moment I installed the app on the phone and on the computer. Setup was as easy as turning it on and launching the app. Sadly they are shutting down.

I've used it some with audio and video files. It's nice because it's the only streamer that I know of that lets you stream your iTunes library. There is shuffle on the app. It gives you access to any iTunes playlists. And even gives you access to multiple libraries if others on your network have their own library. There is a search box to quickly find media.

Yeah, I loved AudioGalaxy. I think they were acquired by DropBox and shut down. Never used Quik.io....but Plex is like a higher quality AudioGalaxy imo.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
I've used it some with audio and video files. It's nice because it's the only streamer that I know of that lets you stream your iTunes library. There is shuffle on the app. It gives you access to any iTunes playlists. And even gives you access to multiple libraries if others on your network have their own library. There is a search box to quickly find media.

Yeah, I loved AudioGalaxy. I think they were acquired by DropBox and shut down. Never used Quik.io....but Plex is like a higher quality AudioGalaxy imo.

I loved AudioGalaxy also...... you have me sold. Will be getting this!

Thank you

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Well I setup Plex, have it working on all my devices. But there is one huge item missing that I sorely miss. The ability to shuffle songs from my entire library not just an album.

The system it self was pretty easy to setup and use, but the inability to shuffle my entire library is a deal breaker for me.

So I am off to find another music streamer. Any other suggestions out there?

chris566

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2010
Carolina
Well I setup Plex, have it working on all my devices. But there is one huge item missing that I sorely miss. The ability to shuffle songs from my entire library not just an album.

The system it self was pretty easy to setup and use, but the inability to shuffle my entire library is a deal breaker for me.

So I am off to find another music streamer. Any other suggestions out there?

just make an iTunes playlist of all your music and shuffle that in Plex.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Ok... I have given plex a shot. It is great if you are on wifi in the same location and it is great as an interface for your files. But one thing that it is sorely missing for me is the ability to stream my music files to me via cellular. I have been having constant drops in the music. I have checked the computer and my connection to no avail.

I am really missing Quik.IO since it worked all the time with no issues. Spotty coverage, it worked. Plex not so much. I can get it to play three or four songs, and then it stops. Starts. Stops. Starts. Stops. You get the picture. I am going to keep it for my home network since it pretty much works all the time and I do like some of the features.

But I really need something that works via cellular. I have a boat load of songs over 40K and I really want access to them all via a streaming service.

So I am again on the look out for a music streaming service. Any recommendations?

chris566

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2010
Carolina
I know you said you've tried it in your original post, but StreamToMe works ok for me. You could try their newer beta server. The developer told me that a new version of the client and server is coming in the next few months. I'm still looking for options. Let me know if you try anything else. I really wish the Airvideo developers would allow audio file support. That app works great remotely for me. But I have no use for remote videos.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
I know you said you've tried it in your original post, but StreamToMe works ok for me. You could try their newer beta server. The developer told me that a new version of the client and server is coming in the next few months. I'm still looking for options. Let me know if you try anything else. I really wish the Airvideo developers would allow audio file support. That app works great remotely for me. But I have no use for remote videos.

I have not tried the new version. I didn't know they had a new version! Will look in this tonight when I get home!

By the way, Chris566 thank you very much for helping and making suggestions on this!!!!

chris566

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2010
Carolina
Let me know if that helps. I'm happy to help. I'm just as passionate about playing and streaming audio as you are.

chris566

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2010
Carolina
Ok... I have given plex a shot. It is great if you are on wifi in the same location and it is great as an interface for your files. But one thing that it is sorely missing for me is the ability to stream my music files to me via cellular. I have been having constant drops in the music. I have checked the computer and my connection to no avail.

I am really missing Quik.IO since it worked all the time with no issues. Spotty coverage, it worked. Plex not so much. I can get it to play three or four songs, and then it stops. Starts. Stops. Starts. Stops. You get the picture. I am going to keep it for my home network since it pretty much works all the time and I do like some of the features.

But I really need something that works via cellular. I have a boat load of songs over 40K and I really want access to them all via a streaming service.

So I am again on the look out for a music streaming service. Any recommendations?

Hey, just wanted to let you know that plex for ios has been updated. Hopefully they've squashed some of the cellular streaming bugs. They also added some shuffle support, although I'm not sure what that means because I thought you could already shuffle.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Hey, just wanted to let you know that plex for ios has been updated. Hopefully they've squashed some of the cellular streaming bugs. They also added some shuffle support, although I'm not sure what that means because I thought you could already shuffle.

Ah good looking out. Off to update it now instead of waiting!!!!' Will test it out over the next week!!!

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008

Well I have been using it since I did the update (the day you told me about this) I am still getting drops. It almost feels like the buffer is not big enough and the file has to buffer, play, buffer, play and so on.

So I am still looking for an alternative.

chris566

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2010
Carolina
Well I have been using it since I did the update (the day you told me about this) I am still getting drops. It almost feels like the buffer is not big enough and the file has to buffer, play, buffer, play and so on.

So I am still looking for an alternative.

Thanks for the update. That's a bummer. Could it be your iPad's data provider by any chance? Are you on iOS 7.1? There was just a StreamToMe client update btw. Keep on testing and looking for options. We will find a smooth-running audio streaming app eventually.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Thanks for the update. That's a bummer. Could it be your iPad's data provider by any chance? Are you on iOS 7.1? There was just a StreamToMe client update btw. Keep on testing and looking for options. We will find a smooth-running audio streaming app eventually.

That is actually what I am testing out now. I just updated to the newest version of StreamToMe.

I don't think it is the provider since the other apps I used for both my iPhone and iPad worked flawlessly. I have a feeling it is something to do with Plex. I have been looking over the forums and i don't seem to be the only one having this issue.

So I am testing streamtome and going to try subsonic's iSub app also.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008

Installed the newest update to StreamToMe and we have a winner. Oh man this is soooo much smoother and more responsive then the previous version. Absolutely no complaints what so ever.

Hooked and no longer searching for a streamer!

chris566

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2010
Carolina
Installed the newest update to StreamToMe and we have a winner. Oh man this is soooo much smoother and more responsive then the previous version. Absolutely no complaints what so ever.

Hooked and no longer searching for a streamer!

That's great news! Also expect an update/interface change for iOS app in the next month or two from the developer. Keep us updated of any changes, problems, or new streaming apps that you come across.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.