Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office today published a newly granted Apple patent describing a goggle-like video headset designed to allow users to view media while on the go but with a much larger view than on their mobile device's built-in display (via Patently Apple).

apple_patent_video_goggle.jpg
Apple's patent is a relatively straightforward one with a single independent claim outlining a headset that contains adjustable optical modules for lining up with the user's eyes, but the full description of Apple's ideas includes such topics as allowing displays for each eye to be individually focused to provide vision correction, as well as possibilities for 3-D viewing similar to Oculus Rift's virtual reality headset.
A goggle system for providing a personal media viewing experience to a user is provided. The goggle system may include an outer cover, a mid-frame, optical components for generating the media display, and a lens on which the generated media displayed is provided to the user. The goggle system, or head mounted display may have any suitable appearance. For example, the goggle system may resemble ski or motorcycle goggles. To enhance the user's comfort, the goggle system may include breathable components, including for example breathable foam that rests against the user's face, and may allow the user to move the display generation components for alignment with the user's eyes. In some embodiments, the goggle system may include data processing circuitry operative to adjust left and right images generated by the optical components to display 3-D media, or account for a user's eyesight limitations.
Apple goes on to describe how visual corrections could be made either by the user entering a prescription or by the headset automatically detecting the needed correction. Those corrections could then be stored by the headset and automatically applied when the user wearing the headset is identified.

apple_patent_video_goggles_tether.jpg

Apple's patent was originally filed in May 2008 and is based on a provisional patent application filed in May 2007, but it has taken until now for the application to make its way through the review process to approval. This is also not the first time Apple has moved to patent concepts related to video headsets, with the company receiving a 2008 patent for a system in which laser light could be pumped from an external source into a lightweight goggle system to display images. As noted by Patently Apple, Apple has made a number of other moves over the years to expand on the possibilities for a video headset, but the company has yet to bring any such product to market.

Article Link: Apple's Work on Video Goggles Highlighted in Newly Granted Patent

andrewpturko

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
so, so very much has changed since '08.

unless you're out snowboarding I just can't help but think:

zeal-ion-hd-video-goggles-5.jpg

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
i don't think apple will go down this road any time soon. i see them pushing this through as a means to keep one less potential card in google's hand

jyen

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2012
That patent illustration reminds me of the 1984 Apple commercial.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
With the way Google Glass is shaping up, I can't see this total goggle approach taking off (thank god).

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
YES! Finally, Google Glass done right!

Edit: Actually, does Google Glass infringe this patent?

Last edited:

Macbmw

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2011
The new iGoggle.

The next Congressional Law: do not wear iGoggle while driving, walking or running. LOL

Renzatic

Suspended
YES! Finally, Google Glass done right!

Really? Google Glass looks like a regular pair of glasses with a little band along the side. These are, as has been pointed out above, ski googles with a HUD.

I ain't feeling these. At all. If Apple were to release them, I'd call them their version of the Galaxy Gear

Actually, does Google Glass infringe this patent?

Nope. They're entirely different products. This thing is basically two little screens suspended in a head mounted unit, meant entirely to be used as an entertainment device. Google Glass is more like a projector shining an image onto a piece of glass.

But it was first filed in 2006, so I expect Apple to do something with it. Like the article says, it's fairly similar to the Occulus Rift in design...

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
With the way Google Glass is shaping up, I can't see this total goggle approach taking off (thank god).

Are you kidding? Glasses make you look like a dork. Especially Google Glasses. But these will make you look totally bad-ass! Although you might need a helmet, body armor and a rifle to complete the look.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
If Apple were considering something like this as a flagship product the final result would obviously need a good deal of refinement before launch. I guess would be probably at minimum, 5 years off.

I love the idea of a full HUD system though. I think once people become accustomed to using devices like Glass, a desire for a fuller interface will grow, as well as a willingness to wear things that are a little (but not much) bigger.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Really? Google Glass looks like a regular pair of glasses with a little band along the side. These are, as has been pointed out above, ski googles with a HUD.

I ain't feeling these. At all. If Apple were to release them, I'd call them their version of the Galaxy Gear

Aren't we talking about two completely different use cases? One for immersive media viewing (or 3D games etc) and one for a little information display in your field of vision.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Are you kidding? Glasses make you look like a dork. Especially Google Glasses. But these will make you look totally bad-ass! Although you might need a helmet, body armor and a rifle to complete the look.
I think they are way too obtrusive for common use but your comment got me thinking. I've seen a lot of pictures of foot soldiers on patrol and they often do wear goggles much like this. For a military market this might be the hot thing. Use Apple tech to tie in solid maps and GPS data from drones to locate the other guys. Look out at a scene and see a red dot wherever the system thinks there's somebody hiding and a blue dot wherever there are non combatants and a green one where allied soldiers are. Tie it into sensors and it could put a red dot where mines or IED are hidden. Heck, even have washes across the scene showing where somebodies field of fire is.
For a military application this could sell really well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.