Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benoit85

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
Hi,

Had my new 5C for a week now and i'm loving it after coming from a galaxy s2 i had for the last 2 years. Only issue which is bugging me a bit is a very slight gap between the top of the screen and the case. Now it is tiny and you have to look hard but it is there and i can easily slide a piece of paper along the gap. I know i'm being picky but just trying to find out if its pretty normal, the phone feels extremely well made and solid so i'm not worried about the screen falling out or anything,lol
I have now got a case on it so i can't see it at the moment, needed a case because the phone like my old s2 is very slippery and i dropped my s2 a fair few times so expecting it to happen with my 5c too,lol

so can anyone else see if they have this slight gap in the case? I'm not local to an apple store to take it and exchange it and don't think it's worth posting off to be changed to be honest.

Thanks all. :)

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
Hi,

Had my new 5C for a week now and i'm loving it after coming from a galaxy s2 i had for the last 2 years. Only issue which is bugging me a bit is a very slight gap between the top of the screen and the case. Now it is tiny and you have to look hard but it is there and i can easily slide a piece of paper along the gap. I know i'm being picky but just trying to find out if its pretty normal, the phone feels extremely well made and solid so i'm not worried about the screen falling out or anything,lol
I have now got a case on it so i can't see it at the moment, needed a case because the phone like my old s2 is very slippery and i dropped my s2 a fair few times so expecting it to happen with my 5c too,lol

so can anyone else see if they have this slight gap in the case? I'm not local to an apple store to take it and exchange it and don't think it's worth posting off to be changed to be honest.

Thanks all. :)

This is not normal at all. I own a white 5c and don't have this. I understand it may be small, but it's your phone and I want mine perfect

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
I had two 5c and the first one had a slight gap, but I didn't notice it until I compared it to the 2nd 5c.

If everything else in the phone works. Keep it. Because you run the risk if getting another phone with a whole new problem/defect.

benoit85

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
I had two 5c and the first one had a slight gap, but I didn't notice it until I compared it to the 2nd 5c.

If everything else in the phone works. Keep it. Because you run the risk if getting another phone with a whole new problem/defect.

This is what i want to avoid to be honest, i've heard of people being on their 5th or even 6th phone because they keep finding faults. I think i'll stick with it for now and then coming up to 12 months if it's still bothering me i may get it changed.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Just ask to see the replacement phone, unless you ordered it online - in which case you can try your luck by taking it into an Apple store for them to see and maybe exchange in-store and then you can see the new phone and if your not happy with that one, they can get another...

benoit85

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
I got it via phones 4 u here in the UK, i've been told i can take it into one of their stores and they will look to replace it. Not sure if they actually will but as it's a manufacturing defect i would expect them to. I may pop in when im in town next.

john500y2k

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2013
Don't have a 5c of my own but with anything that you may have a concern about I would always suggest at least talking a walk into the shop and just comparing your one with the display model. (I find apple shops better as then you have a whole range just to verify).

I would always do that even if it's a tiny niggle just for piece of mind. Especially as you have already gone in with the frame of mind that you actually want to keep this phone for two years.

Phones 4 u from my previous experience has always been terrible. I honestly hate their customer techniques with their focus on pure hard sales. More aggravating than anything I find is that they are the exact stereotypical mobile phone sales people from back in the 90's. PRICKS!!! Even car salesmen have adjusted their selling techniques because they knew how they were being looked at by people.

Channel 4 show PhoneShop is probably tip of the iceberg of how sleazy they really are.

I hope you get on alright with your store. Don't know if anyone else shares my hatred to them.

benoit85

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
hi, i've just come back from phones 4 u, they just exchanged it for a new one, nice and easy. I was quizzed a few times about why i didn't take out their insurance though:rolleyes:

New one has no dead pixels which is great but i think i can still see a tiny tiny gap at the top near the power button. to be honest i think its me being too picky now though,lol i had a few people look and they couldn't even see it so im going to keep this one.

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
Keep the phone and then exchange it a week before warranty runs out, that way you will get a new phone in a year with a new battery and pristine condition.

My current 5s has a dead pixel at the corner but doesn't bother me enough to exchange it so I just wait till warranty is almost expired and exchanged it that way my phone will have a new battery and no scratches.

benoit85

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
Keep the phone and then exchange it a week before warranty runs out, that way you will get a new phone in a year with a new battery and pristine condition.

My current 5s has a dead pixel at the corner but doesn't bother me enough to exchange it so I just wait till warranty is almost expired and exchanged it that way my phone will have a new battery and no scratches.

Yea had already considered this to be honest, lol i've got a good case on it so should stop any dirt or dust getting into the little gap anyway. It's my first iphone and after everything i had heard about iphones being well made i have to say im a bit disappointed, my S2 was flawless and even after 2 years other than general wear and tear it's perfect

benoit85

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
Another update, my new 5C developed the screen clicking fault. Found it very annoying so i am sending it back but after complaining i am now being sent a 5s instead so hopefully this one will be perfect. Can't believe i will be on my 3rd iphone in the space of 2 weeks though:rolleyes:

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
Another update, my new 5C developed the screen clicking fault. Found it very annoying so i am sending it back but after complaining i am now being sent a 5s instead so hopefully this one will be perfect. Can't believe i will be on my 3rd iphone in the space of 2 weeks though:rolleyes:

Great upgrade, you wont regret it.

benoit85

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
Great upgrade, you wont regret it.

Hope not dude, great to be upgraded for free to the 5s, just hope there is nothing wrong with this new handset. Just got to hope also now that phones 4 u can get it sent out in time to have it before xmas

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.