Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boomdog

macrumors regular
Original poster
I recently received my new MacBook Pro and bought an Apple TV to stream skygo to my TV upstairs as well as connecting it to projectors at work. So far I've only tested it with skygo but it after 5 minutes I had to give up.

Both are connected to my 60mbps fibre wirelessly and both can stream HD content by themselves (Apple TV streamed Bad Boys straight from the icloud; MacBook streamed skygo perfectly) but when trying to stream the skygo over airplay to the Apple TV it seems to overload the system. The picture on both the MacBook and TV became partially pixelated and the sound delayed. The MacBook itself struggled to perform a simple google search for a solution whilst continuing the skygo stream in the background. Is it maxing out my system?

My MacBook is the top, stock model, i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB graphics, 512 SSD. I thought it would be a beast!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Things to check.

If you are using wifi...( and I assume your are ) you are going to lose a little that way...If you can cable / hardwire, then that's the best option.

Check your router / modem for firmware updates.

I am blessed with 100MBS+ down and I still prefer to cable my ATV's in if I can.

neilmacd

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
UK
I'd suggest trying a different source incase it's a Sky Go streaming issue.

Try to airplay some local content straight from the MacBook. If that works, try to airplay YouTube HD from your MacBook.

Your MacBook shouldn't even bat an eyelid at those sort of processes.

boomdog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Things to check.

If you are using wifi...( and I assume your are ) you are going to lose a little that way...If you can cable / hardwire, then that's the best option.

Check your router / modem for firmware updates.

I am blessed with 100MBS+ down and I still prefer to cable my ATV's in if I can.

Wire the ATV and have a good 802.11ac WiFi router for the MacBook rMBP late 2013

I'd suggest trying a different source incase it's a Sky Go streaming issue.

Try to airplay some local content straight from the MacBook. If that works, try to airplay YouTube HD from your MacBook.

Your MacBook shouldn't even bat an eyelid at those sort of processes.

Thank you all for your responses. I have some Ethernet wall plugs so will try hooking the ATV up when I get a chance, I'll also try different sources. I have a highly spec'd Dell but was expecting the Mac to blow it out of the water on performance, so far I've been underwhelmed. Not really put it through its paces yet though.

I'll update when I've tried your suggested tweaks

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I recently received my new MacBook Pro and bought an Apple TV to stream skygo to my TV upstairs as well as connecting it to projectors at work. So far I've only tested it with skygo but it after 5 minutes I had to give up.

Both are connected to my 60mbps fibre wirelessly and both can stream HD content by themselves (Apple TV streamed Bad Boys straight from the icloud; MacBook streamed skygo perfectly) but when trying to stream the skygo over airplay to the Apple TV it seems to overload the system. The picture on both the MacBook and TV became partially pixelated and the sound delayed. The MacBook itself struggled to perform a simple google search for a solution whilst continuing the skygo stream in the background. Is it maxing out my system?

My MacBook is the top, stock model, i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB graphics, 512 SSD. I thought it would be a beast!

What router are you using for the wireless? Is it the BT/Virgin media default one?

Hold Alt and click on the wifi icon in the top right icon. Take a screenshot of what you see there and post it for us.

When you say it struggled to perform a simple google search... what do you mean? Did you have issues with opening the browser or by struggle are you referring to how long it took for the google search?

boomdog

macrumors regular
Original poster
What router are you using for the wireless? Is it the BT/Virgin media default one?

Hold Alt and click on the wifi icon in the top right icon. Take a screenshot of what you see there and post it for us.

When you say it struggled to perform a simple google search... what do you mean? Did you have issues with opening the browser or by struggle are you referring to how long it took for the google search?

Standard BT router. I'm at work at the moment but will take the screenshot when I get home. By struggle I mean, the computer lagged heavily in opening chrome and the picture kinda jumped. I assumed it was because it was trying to encode the graphics and send it over wifi but I don't really know anything about the process. I quickly stopped the video and the stream smoothed out somewhat. I think I may just connect the MBP direct to the TV but I hate having to plug cables in and the restriction of having the cables plugged in when sitting on a sofa. Kinda defeats the object of having a ATV too.

Thanks for your response, ill take the screenshot later on and post it.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Edit: forget all that and the screenshot I asked for earlier.

I took a look at the sky forums and you're not the only one with these issues.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Go-on-PC-Laptop-Mac/Sky-go-keeps-crashing/td-p/274737

Sky Go does not work properly with Airplay. Apparently this is designed by Sky due to "licensing issues".

Then, if you're using OS X Mavericks, this is the best:

Mavericks isn't supported at the moment so in all probability you wouldn't even be able to run Sky Go on your Macbook Air at the moment.

Q on Sky Forum: Would love to know that it works streamed from Mac to Apple TV.

Answer from Sky: In terms of Apple TV and Airplay, this is something that we do not currently support, and there are currently no plans to support this due to the licensing restrictions of the content for Sky Go.

So you cannot use airplay to mirror to an ATV from an iPad or the Mac.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Go-...Go-working-with-Apple-TV-Airplay/td-p/1259452

Last edited:

boomdog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Edit: forget all that and the screenshot I asked for earlier.

I took a look at the sky forums and you're not the only one with these issues.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Go-on-PC-Laptop-Mac/Sky-go-keeps-crashing/td-p/274737

Sky Go does not work properly with Airplay. Apparently this is designed by Sky due to "licensing issues".

Then, if you're using OS X Mavericks, this is the best:

Q on Sky Forum: Would love to know that it works streamed from Mac to Apple TV.

Answer from Sky: In terms of Apple TV and Airplay, this is something that we do not currently support, and there are currently no plans to support this due to the licensing restrictions of the content for Sky Go.

So you cannot use airplay to mirror to an ATV from an iPad or the Mac.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Go-...Go-working-with-Apple-TV-Airplay/td-p/1259452

Ah, dang, just ordered a 10m HDMI cable to connect directly in to the TV. Shame though as now my apple TV has little use at home. On the bright side, I guess that means I can just leave it at work and not have to bother bringing it home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.