Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Has anyone else ever had a very long estimated time for an export, tried rebooting the computer, then found it goes at a normal speed?

Why is this? What is accumulating that slows it down?

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Has anyone else ever had a very long estimated time for an export, tried rebooting the computer, then found it goes at a normal speed?

Because a restart clears all the RAM. To save time just open Terminal and type in "purge." It does the same thing as a restart.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en

Why is this?
Intel Turbo Boost?

Doc_SilverCreek said:
On:
https://communities.intel.com/thread/19612

Turbo Boost is not over clocking.

Turbo Boost Technology opportunistically allows the processor to run faster than the marked frequency if the part is operating below power, temperature and current limits.

Turbo Boost operation:
– Operates under OS control – only entered when OS requests
higher performance state (P0)
– Turbo Boost availability is independent of the number of active
cores
– Max Turbo Boost frequency is dependent on the number of active
cores and varies by processor
– Amount of time the system spends in Turbo Boost will depend on
workload, operating environment, and platform design

If you are providing a constant work load in your benchmarking, current and power (which are basically the same) are fixed.
This leaves temperature as the determining factor. As the processor heats (i.e Likely your 3 minutes of sustained operation) it drops out of turbo boost mode.
If this is the cause of the drop out, you should be able to see it by monitoring the CPU temperature using a tools such as CPUz. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-.html

In this case a better heat sink, or chassis cooling solution would give you an extended turbo boost range.
You can view the Turbo Boost status with this utility:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-power-gadget-20

:)

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Because a restart clears all the RAM. To save time just open Terminal and type in "purge." It does the same thing as a restart.

I don't think that's the case, I have 16GB RAM and will have a decent amount of free RAM while exporting in Premiere Pro CC, then the reboot speeds it up.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Likely you have some processes running that you don't know about an the re-boot sops them. If you knew about them then you could do this manually. Have you kooks at Activity Monitor both before and after a re-boot? Look at what is running and amount of RAM used.

I don't see a difference on my iMac but then i'm car full not to run other software while I'm transcoding video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.