Rovio's 'Angry Birds Go!' Kart Racing Game Hits the App Store - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Dec 11, 2013, 05:22 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Rovio's 'Angry Birds Go!' Kart Racing Game Hits the App Store

Rovio has officially released Angry Birds Go! for iOS, bringing a 3D kart racing game based off of the popular Angry Birds franchise to mobile devices. The game includes many of the usual bird and pig characters from the Angry Birds series participating in downhill kart races with various tracks and power ups, and also includes the ability to perform kart upgrades. A variety of game modes are present as well, with Angry Birds Go! also bringing support for Hasbro's interactive "Telepods" toys that debuted alongside Angry Birds Star Wars II.
Quote:
Welcome to downhill racing on Piggy Island! Feel the rush as you fling those freewheeling birds and piggies down the track at breakneck speed - with plenty of twists and turns in a thrilling race to the finish line! But beware! Look out for hazardous roads, mischievous opponents riding your tail and special powers to put the race leader behind the pack. Plus, go from soapbox car to supercar by upgrading your ride! Ready...Set...Angry Birds Go!

FIRST-EVER 3D ANGRY BIRDS WORLD! See the birds and pigs from every angle as Piggy Island comes alive in this rich and colorful 3D world!

RACE AS THE BIRDS OR PIGS! Jump behind the wheel and race as Red, Chuck, Terence, Stella, King Pig, Moustache Pig and many other favorites!

MASTER THE TRACKS! Plenty of racetracks, stunt roads, air courses and off-road races - each throwing big and unexpected challenges your way!

AWESOME SPECIAL POWERS! Smash your opponents off the road and take that winning position thanks to unique special powers for each character!
The title was first teased back in June, with additional information about the game released this past August. Angry Birds Go! is a free download for iOS devices, and also features in-app purchases. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Rovio's 'Angry Birds Go!' Kart Racing Game Hits the App Store
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 05:27 AM   #2
phatspider
macrumors 6502

Today?

This has been on my device for at least a week or two?
phatspider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 05:46 AM   #3
alohamade
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatspider View Post
Today?

This has been on my device for at least a week or two?
It "officially" launched today, but yes, it has been out in some regions for quite some time now.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 06:01 AM   #4
Sandstorm
macrumors regular

If "freemium" is done right, it's ok (although I still prefer paying up front). But this is not the case.
Sandstorm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 06:32 AM   #5
MattJessop
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to MattJessop
I think Freemium is interesting when it's a game I might try that I might not have looked at otherwise.

But when you force me to stop playing and then ask me to pony up 50 or whatever for your 'super amazing racing kart', then you can go fling your birds at some other pig.
MattJessop is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 06:36 AM   #6
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
and also features in-app purchases.
Ugh. I'll pass. This freemium stuff is the cancer of the software world.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 07:42 AM   #7
Lindberg
macrumors regular

The freemium idea has gone mad when a car in the game costs 50$.

This sucks!
Lindberg is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 08:12 AM   #8
Mwongozi
macrumors member

The Verge review of the game: http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/11/5...irds-go-review

tl;dr: The IAPs completely ruin it.
Mwongozi is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 08:49 AM   #9
DavidLeblond
macrumors 68020

I never ever pay IAPs for games, but that doesn't prevent me from enjoying them. So I can only play a little of Go at a time, I don't sit down with a game for any long periods of time anyway.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 08:50 AM   #10
OneBagTravel
macrumors regular

Rovio can make some good games like Icebreaker and Tiny Thief but their Angry Birds series just is too gimmicky for me. I caved and bought the Star Wars version and instantly regretted it after playing it for a bit. Based on the gameplay footage I've seen of their new cart racer, it brings nothing new that the app store hasn't already seen.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 08:55 AM   #11
iMacFarlane
macrumors 65816

That icon . . .

How is that bird "angry"?
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:41 AM   #12
clukas
macrumors 6502a

Ok so I downloaded this today and played with it for 10 minutes and must say Im a little disappointed. The graphics look like something I played in the 90's. This is a desperate attempt from Rovio to extract more money from a otherwise drained angry bird brand. They should do more original content than just another racing game. How about something as different as the bad piggies game, that was entertaining and a nice change from the usual angry birds game. As for this, not interested in the slightest, at least they spared us spending money upfront.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:46 AM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
In fact, it's the only sustainable business model in a world full of $0.99 apps.
158274 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:53 AM   #14
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by 158274 View Post
In fact, it's the only sustainable business model in a world full of $0.99 apps.
Great. But I'm never using it. Any app that has IAPs doesn't even get a download from me. It is in my belief it should be boycotted.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 AM   #15
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by 158274 View Post
Then devs need to charge more for their apps. I paid $10 each for the iWork apps, $20 for Omnifocus, $5 for iBank, $15 or so for 1Password. And those were just the iOS versions.

Good apps are worth the money and if devs won't properly value their work then nobody else will either.
ugahairydawgs is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 11:31 AM   #16
Reason077
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Great. But I'm never using it. Any app that has IAPs doesn't even get a download from me. It is in my belief it should be boycotted.
Some of them are OK. Plants vs Zombies 2 is one example of a game that goes IAPs tastefully. You can use them if you're lazy and want to speed up your progress, but its not essential to completing the game.
Reason077 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 11:40 AM   #17
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugahairydawgs View Post
Then devs need to charge more for their apps. I paid $10 each for the iWork apps, $20 for Omnifocus, $5 for iBank, $15 or so for 1Password. And those were just the iOS versions.

Good apps are worth the money and if devs won't properly value their work then nobody else will either.
Good content add-ons are also worth good money. IE, expansion packs or major updates.

Apple doesn't allow updates to cost money though. Either it's a sequel or an IAP - there's no easy way to say, "Hey, I have a new version of my app that doubles the number of features. I spent the last year working on it, please pay me again to update, or keep using last year's version."
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 11:50 AM   #18
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

its an ok game but theres not much skill to it. There are better kart racing games for sure on the app store. The graphics really are not that good either (somewhat looks like its not even retina).

IAP is very very dominate in this app you can play for about 15-30mins then expect to pay money and never stop paying money.

TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 11:51 AM   #19
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
How so? You can play a game for free.

I WISH there were things like that when I was younger. We could rent games for $$$, or buy them for $$$. There were no free games on consoles or portables.
Xenomorph is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:27 PM   #20
Nevaborn
macrumors 6502a

I like it, feels like DS or Advance graphics. The gameplays simple but enjoyable. Its a nice game and you arent forced to buy anything.
Nevaborn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:33 PM   #21
pmjoe
macrumors 6502

Looks like a complete rip-off of Beach Buggy Blitz.
pmjoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:52 PM   #22
OriginalMacRat
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post
Looks like a complete rip-off of Beach Buggy Blitz.
And Pangea's Cro-Mag Rally.
OriginalMacRat is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 02:19 PM   #23
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Good content add-ons are also worth good money. IE, expansion packs or major updates.

Apple doesn't allow updates to cost money though. Either it's a sequel or an IAP - there's no easy way to say, "Hey, I have a new version of my app that doubles the number of features. I spent the last year working on it, please pay me again to update, or keep using last year's version."
To me that method is way better than listing it in the store as free and then when you get in and try to use it you realize you have to purchase many potential features. IAP method feels more like a bait and switch than anything else.
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 02:25 PM   #24
CWallace
macrumors Demi-God

Don't really have an issue with IAPs for upgrades, special items/levels and such, but I would much prefer to pay $5 up front (or via IAP) to get rid of advertisements / sponsors and the "energy limit" as the presence of both directly impacts basic gameplay (which, for me, is about all I am interested in with the AB franchise as I use it as a time-killer).
CWallace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 03:08 PM   #25
Lancer
macrumors 68000

Love Angry Birds and I just gave this a go but I'm not paying that kind of money for upgrades in the game, rather go get a new PS4 or xBox and do it on my TV!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion