Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

View Poll Results: Vote for one of the Time's finalists for POY
Bashar Assad, President of Syria 0 0%
Jeff Bezos, Amazon Founder 2 2.86%
Ted Cruz, Texas Senator 1 1.43%
Miley Cyrus, Singer 3 4.29%
Pope Francis, Leader of the Catholic Church 22 31.43%
Barack Obama, President of the United States 1 1.43%
Hassan Rouhani, President of Iran 0 0%
Kathleen Sebelius, Secretary of HHHS 0 0%
Edward Snowden, N.S.A. Leaker 36 51.43%
Edith Windsor, Gay rights activist 2 2.86%
Other 3 4.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 11, 2013, 11:23 AM   #1
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Time Magazine's Person of the Year

Time picked Pope Francis.

While I understand the choice, I think Edward Snowden would have been a better one.

http://poy.time.com
citizenzen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 11:39 AM   #2
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post

While I understand the choice, I think Edward Snowden would have been a better one.

Snowden is a lot more controversial.
Eraserhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Mousse
macrumors 65816

I vote for the Pope. He's steering the Church back on the straight and narrow. He's leading by example. No expensive clothes (no Prada shoes, bro), no fancy cars (he drives around in a Ford Focus), or no extravagances. He's a leader his followers can look up to without having to bow and scrape.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 11:44 AM   #4
bradl
macrumors 68030

I voted for Francis as well.

Servant leadership is always the best way to go, especially when done right, with the right principles; a lot of which the others haven't shown in recent times.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:27 PM   #5
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

If I ran Time Magazine, the person of this year wouldn't even be a person. I would simply put "Social Media" as persob of the year. It was involved in everything this year, including revolutions.
LIVEFRMNYC is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 12:38 PM   #6
BenTrovato
macrumors 6502a

It's amazing how Snowden isn't the overwhelming choice here. Government spies on it's own people, unjustly of course, and the people are okay with it. To release that information and give up any hope of a normal life afterward is the ultimate sacrifice, at least in today's world.

While Mr. Francis might be the best pope to come along in a while, don't forget he sits atop the Vatican Bank, the wealthiest Bank rivaled only by the Queen of England. And yes, millions of kids and families are starving in Africa while Mr. Francis sits on his gold throne. What was that thing that Jesus taught... something about giving up all your possessions.... doesn't seem like the head of the Catholic Church got the message. Best pope in a while yes - leading by example? Hardly.
BenTrovato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 01:30 PM   #7
Technarchy
macrumors 601

Snowden. He exposed the largest violation of civil liberties the USA has seen since Jim Crow, and made privacy an issue the entire world is now debating.

He also proved George Orwell was exactly right when he said 1984 was about us, and not the Soviets.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 01:52 PM   #8
edk99
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post

Why would the Times pick a criminal to be person of the year?
edk99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 01:59 PM   #9
NewbieCanada
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk99 View Post
Because you don't understand what Time's person of the year is. Or even that we're not talking about the Times.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 02:01 PM   #10
edk99
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTrovato View Post
It's amazing how Snowden isn't the overwhelming choice here. Government spies on it's own people, unjustly of course, and the people are okay with it. To release that information and give up any hope of a normal life afterward is the ultimate sacrifice, at least in today's world.
The government has been spying on people for eons. Nothing new here. It is just in the last decade they have better tool to do it more efficiently. It does not matter how we feel about it or how unjust it is. No matter how big the uproar they will continue doing it. I'm sure whatever snowden has given up and what he still has is just the tip of the iceberg in the vast web of government snooping and spying. Unless you want to live in the mountains somewhere off then land use no banks, cell phone, utilities, hospitals, internet and so on your info is sitting somewhere in a government cave on a hard drive.
edk99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 02:02 PM   #11
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
They've featured Hitler before. Your point is?

Maybe you've never heard of the Times.
Here you go.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_(magazine)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Person_of_the_Year
Old Dec 13, 2013, 03:24 PM   #12
hafr
Banned

Quote:

While Mr. Francis might be the best pope to come along in a while, don't forget he sits atop the Vatican Bank, the wealthiest Bank rivaled only by the Queen of England. And yes, millions of kids and families are starving in Africa while Mr. Francis sits on his gold throne. What was that thing that Jesus taught... something about giving up all your possessions.... doesn't seem like the head of the Catholic Church got the message. Best pope in a while yes - leading by example? Hardly.
http://thinkprogress.org/home/2013/12/11/3050681/pope-francis-think-2013/

It's not like the pope owns the bank's assets the way you own yours...
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 05:19 PM   #13
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
If I ran Time Magazine, the person of this year wouldn't even be a person. I would simply put "Social Media" as persob of the year. It was involved in everything this year, including revolutions.
They pulled that stunt in 2006 "You" and 2011 "The Protestor."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
Snowden. He exposed the largest violation of civil liberties the USA has seen since Jim Crow, and made privacy an issue the entire world is now debating.

He also proved George Orwell was exactly right when he said 1984 was about us, and not the Soviets.
I agree.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 05:32 PM   #14
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
*Time* magazine has picked some interesting characters since the creation of POY in 1927. And, the selection is for the person who has "for better or for worse, ...done the most to influence the events of the year."

I'd argue that Snowden is far more important in this regard because his apparent criminality has reverberated throughout the world.

Quote:
The government has been spying on people for eons. Nothing new here. It is just in the last decade they have better tool to do it more efficiently.
And, there have been 265 popes, what makes Pope Francis so interesting.

Also, I would argue that 1) The NSA's "grab everything" methods doesn't mean it's actually efficient and 2) The extensiveness of the spying and the utter lack of oversight means the Constitution's balance of power may be in jeopardy. 3) The spying methods of 1800 and today are fundamentally different. Then you could assume that your average letter went through the nascent Post Office unread. You can't maintain that fiction today.

Quote:
...It does not matter how we feel about it or how unjust it is. No matter how big the uproar they will continue doing it. I'm sure whatever snowden has given up and what he still has is just the tip of the iceberg in the vast web of government snooping and spying. Unless you want to live in the mountains somewhere off then land use no banks, cell phone, utilities, hospitals, internet and so on your info is sitting somewhere in a government cave on a hard drive.
The NSA could be disbanded by Congress along with DIA and CIA. These agencies aren't some alien entity, they're part and parcel of the US government.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 05:44 PM   #15
Mousse
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
They've featured Hitler before. Your point is?
That was BEFORE he became a mad man who's armies swept across Europe. What he did was nothing short of miraculous, reviving a near dead economy into a model of efficiency that fielded a war machine that took the combined might of the free world to stop.

Quote:
While Mr. Francis might be the best pope to come along in a while, don't forget he sits atop the Vatican Bank, the wealthiest Bank rivaled only by the Queen of England. And yes, millions of kids and families are starving in Africa while Mr. Francis sits on his gold throne.
What does starving kids in Africa have to do with the Church's wealth? Jesus never taught communism. Besides, every organization need resources to forward their agenda.

Golden throne? That was his previous Pope.

Quote:
What was that thing that Jesus taught... something about giving up all your possessions.... doesn't seem like the head of the Catholic Church got the message. Best pope in a while yes - leading by example? Hardly.
Yeah, he doesn't OWN any of the money that belongs to the Church. Try again.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 05:49 PM   #16
dec.
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulugu View Post
And, there have been 265 popes, what makes Pope Francis so interesting.
I think he appears interesting to some people because he's trying to fix the image of the church in public. Technically I believe that they don't have any other choice in these days. It seems like more and more people are questioning the church in first place so really he doesn't have any other option than try to modernize here and there to make the church look appealing at least to someone. It all comes down to just another pope trying to secure the income of the church.

I voted for Snowden, for obvious reasons (and yes, some might say "we knew it all along", but to me the whole difference is that there now is actual evidence and concrete documentation of cases).
Old Dec 13, 2013, 05:58 PM   #17
hafr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousse View Post
What does starving kids in Africa have to do with the Church's wealth? Jesus never taught communism.
I've had a Spanish teacher named Jesus. But if you're talking about the Christian Jesus, the guy they talk about in the bible - if he wasn't communist, he was the next thing to it. Give all you can, the camel-needle-rich man-heaven quote, free universal healthcare...

Plus - mother Russia vs father God? Requiring loyalty, seeing everything etc? Huh? Yeah, exactly
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 06:34 PM   #18
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulugu View Post
They pulled that stunt in 2006 "You" and 2011 "The Protestor."
Didn't know that. Going to look it up. "You" sounds stupid though. LOL
LIVEFRMNYC is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 06:54 PM   #19
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
That was BEFORE he became a mad man who's armies swept across Europe. What he did was nothing short of miraculous, reviving a near dead economy into a model of efficiency that fielded a war machine that took the combined might of the free world to stop. ...
Let's not give people the impression that Time named Hitler man of the year because they were impressed by what the SOB had done for Germany's economy.

Quote:
TIME explained what was perhaps the most controversial of its choices thus: "Hitler became in 1938 the greatest threatening force that the democratic, freedom-loving world faces today" (1/2/39).

From: Adolf Hilter: 1938 - Person of the Year: A Photo History - TIME
Old Dec 14, 2013, 04:21 AM   #20
Happybunny
macrumors 68000

Snowden gets my vote because he proved what very many people suspected. The cat is now out of the bag, and there is no going back.

The new pope only really is any interest in catholic countries, and then nothing like pope John Paul II.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 04:28 AM   #21
nebo1ss
macrumors 68000

Snowden without a doubt.
nebo1ss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2013, 07:39 AM   #22
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

I'd have to go with Snowden. His actions had far more effect on people than a few meaningless words from the Pope.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:37 PM   #23
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec. View Post
I think he appears interesting to some people because he's trying to fix the image of the church in public. Technically I believe that they don't have any other choice in these days. It seems like more and more people are questioning the church in first place so really he doesn't have any other option than try to modernize here and there to make the church look appealing at least to someone. It all comes down to just another pope trying to secure the income of the church.
A few PR measures by a recent Pope to just doesn't seem enough to make him Time's Person of the Year. Now, if he had issued some dramatic decree on homosexuality, birth control, or abortion, I would change my opinion. But, right now it's window dressing and personal style.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 12:03 AM   #24
Jbenn425
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafr View Post
I've had a Spanish teacher named Jesus. But if you're talking about the Christian Jesus, the guy they talk about in the bible - if he wasn't communist, he was the next thing to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thanks-jesus-for-this-food-de-nada.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	451803  
Jbenn425 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2013, 06:20 AM   #25
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
What does starving kids in Africa have to do with the Church's wealth? Jesus never taught communism. Besides, every organization need resources to forward their agenda.

On the contrary…. Matthew 19:21 states:

Quote:
"If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."

Shouldn't the Catholic Church do what Hey-Zeus says in Matthew 19:21 and lead by example? You know, do away with all their wealth and do the work of Hey-Zeus the way Hey-Zeus did it in his day with absolutely nothing but himself, a reformed prostitute, and 12 other guys?

---

Disclosure, I was raised Catholic and walked away from the religion due to me coming to my senses. Today I consider myself an atheist-leaning agnostic.
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues