Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sofakng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
I currently have an iPad Air 32 GB (wish I went for 64 GB), but I'm finding some of the games require my hands to move around the screen and I'm wondering if the iPad Mini's smaller screen would make it easier.

For example, Oceanhorn, Infinity Blade, Junk Jack (?), Real Racing 3 (and other games requiring you to tilt the device, etc)

However... other games are much better on the bigger screen: Baldurs Gate, Magic The Gathering, Kingdom Rush, etc.

If both devices cost the exact same, and you were only going to use it for gaming, which would you prefer?

(I'm very fortunate and could afford to buy a iPad Mini 16 GB (alongside my iPad Air) just for the games that are better on it, but I'm just not sure if it's a complete waste...)

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Air, for sure. Games are just better with a bigger screen as you mention it yourself.

Hardly. Games are better with better form factor and thats the rmini cause its a handheld device. Whu do you think the DS and vita are smaller form factors? Do you see nintendo or sony putting out a 9"7" handheld console? Sheesh

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
I have the rMini and I prefer it for most of the kinds of games that I play on the iPad. I used to have a full-sized iPad and really the only games I found "better" on that device were role-playing games like Knights of the Old Republic or Baldur's Gate.

Anything that involves a lot of swiping or any use of the accelerometer at all (Temple Run, most racing games etc) is better for me on the rMini.

Sensamic

macrumors 68030
Mar 26, 2010
I sold my Nexus 10 because it was impossible and really uncomfortable to play games due to the size.

With the Nexus 7 is was almost perfect.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
For example, Oceanhorn...

I love Oceanhorn on my iPad 2. But after 30 minutes of playing or so I do begin to wonder how much nicer it'd be on a smaller iPad, simply due to form factor. I'd like to know too.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Real Racing 3 is a lot more easy on a Mini. It's better with the Air now that its shed weight, but it's still bulky. Having said that, I use my Air for RR3. :D

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I currently have an iPad Air 32 GB (wish I went for 64 GB), but I'm finding some of the games require my hands to move around the screen and I'm wondering if the iPad Mini's smaller screen would make it easier.

For example, Oceanhorn, Infinity Blade, Junk Jack (?), Real Racing 3 (and other games requiring you to tilt the device, etc)

However... other games are much better on the bigger screen: Baldurs Gate, Magic The Gathering, Kingdom Rush, etc.

If both devices cost the exact same, and you were only going to use it for gaming, which would you prefer?

(I'm very fortunate and could afford to buy a iPad Mini 16 GB (alongside my iPad Air) just for the games that are better on it, but I'm just not sure if it's a complete waste...)
Answer = Neither. Until you can use a handheld wireless controller, they both are terrible. Tapping and swiping on glass is a horrid gaming experience.

THFourteen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
London
What a load of rubbish. I've played tonnes of games happily on the ipad. Just finished KOTOR after 35hours, and moved on to XCOM.

The only stuff that really doesn't work is fps games.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I prefer the larger screen for games and now that the Air is so much lighter and has such a shorter thinner form factor, I like it even more.

Totally agree!
Better form factor and ease of use when gaming on the Air vs the mini.
A touch more real-estate is an added plus!

j.benj

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
I played Junk Jack X on my first gen mini for a while before getting my Air and i like it so much more on the larger screen. Oceanhorn is gorgeous but I've only played that on the Air so I can't compare.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Answer = Neither. Until you can use a handheld wireless controller, they both are terrible. Tapping and swiping on glass is a horrid gaming experience.

+1

Will never understand why anyone would find gaming on a tablet enjoyable. Racing games where you turn the tablet left and right? Uhh ya thanks but no thanks. Gaming console all the way. Seriously....look into it.

Gaming on tabs for kids is fine, as its understandble as its easier for them as they wont have the hand coordination for a physical controller. But an adult? *shakes head*

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
+1

Will never understand why anyone would find gaming on a tablet enjoyable. Racing games where you turn the tablet left and right? Uhh ya thanks but no thanks. Gaming console all the way. Seriously....look into it.

Gaming on tabs for kids is fine, as its understandble as its easier for them as they wont have the hand coordination for a physical controller. But an adult? *shakes head*

Ever heard of chess? :rolleyes:

acastic

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
I've played a ton of games from Baldur's Gate to Angry Birds and everything in between. For me, I prefer the mini to the Air. I find it easier to hold and use the onscreen controls with the mini.

madgibbon

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2013
+1

Have you ever tried playing a decent tablet game? I enjoy playing Real Racing 3 on my iPad just as much as Forza 5 on my Xbox One. While I do prefer the Xbox for long gaming sessions the iPad is great when I've only got a few minuets or the lounge TV is in use by other family members. I totally disagree that tablet gaming is for kids.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Have you ever tried playing a decent tablet game? I enjoy playing Real Racing 3 on my iPad just as much as Forza 5 on my Xbox One. While I do prefer the Xbox for long gaming sessions the iPad is great when I've only got a few minuets or the lounge TV is in use by other family members. I totally disagree that tablet gaming is for kids.

Yes I have and didnt enjoy the experience. I just dont see the hype. Im a console gamer and tablet gaming just dont do it for me. Its better on the mini than air simply cause of the minis form factor. It resembles the feel and experience of a decidated handheld gaming console a lot better than the air.

I find it easier to hold and use the onscreen controls with the mini.

Big reason why the mini is much better than the air for gaming is the fact you can easily touch anywhere on the screen with your thumbs without having to reshift your hand positioning like on the air. It feels natural, effortless and no strain. The air, when you have to reach the centre of the screen, you then have to reangle your hands or scretch fingers just to get there.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I bought a rMini today and don't know yet if I like it better for games than my previous larger iPads. I play mostly tap-based adventure games that used to be called Point and Click games but now I guess would be Tap and Click. The smaller size is nice because it seems to put less strain on my wrists because you don't have to reach to tap a portion of the screen but I do wish it was about 8.5 inches as that would be the perfect size for a gaming-centric iPad device.

Amazon got it right with the size of their larger Kindle HDX as that's almost the perfect size for gaming. I need to decide whether to keep the rMini or return it for the Air. Getting twice the capacity (32 GB) for the same price as the entry-level Air swayed me at the time but if I don't enjoy gaming on it, there goes one of the main uses for me as I can already tell it's not going to be the best for web browsing. Any big gamers, especially if you enjoy similar types of games I do, have a rMini and find it suitable for your gaming needs?

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
It's between form factor and screen real estate, which is more important?

Either way, gaming on any iDevice sucks, IMO.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
+1

exactly this!!! Ios games are toilet/waiting in line games. Why would anyone spend 39.99 on handheld if mobile games are so good???

Just a quick note, that u can't really find a game in itune that dont require in app purchase to progress. U would end up paying endlessly for a so-so graphic game quality because smart phone/tablet are so overpriced you dont want to spend more on PsV or 3ds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.