Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I have the a product RED smart case for my rMini and iPhone 5s.

Any recommendations for cleaning products, and any recommendations for protecting the leather?

Cheers.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I have the a product RED smart case for my rMini and iPhone 5s.

Any recommendations for cleaning products, and any recommendations for protecting the leather?

Cheers.

I swear by Apple (no relation to the Apple computers) brand products. For all my leather products, I rub and buff them with the Apple conditioner and then spray them with the Apple guard protector. For the aniline leather you want to use a poly spray rather than a silicone spray, especially if your case is any color other than black. The Apple products don't darken or change the color of the cases. You can also use the conditioner to clean. Once protected, you shouldn't get any deep stains so wouldn't have to deep clean. That's the key to aniline leather - you have to protect it. If you don't, once dirt or grime soaks in, it's extremely hard to pull it out of the leather without also pulling out the dye.

What's nice about Apple leather product, is that it doesn't leave any sticky residue. Just feels soft like after you have moisturized your hands.

FYI I have no affiliation with Apple leather - just found out about them through great reviews from a purse blog.

Last edited:

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I swear by Apple (no relation to the Apple computers) brand products. For all my leather products, I rub and buff them with the Apple conditioner and then spray them with the Apple guard protector. For the aniline leather you want to use a poly spray rather than a silicone spray, especially if your case is any color other than black. The Apple products don't darken or change the color of the cases. You can also use the conditioner to clean. Once protected, you shouldn't get any deep stains so wouldn't have to deep clean. That's the key to aniline leather - you have to protect it. If you don't, once dirt or grime soaks in, it's extremely hard to pull it out of the leather without also pulling out the dye.

What's nice about Apple leather product, is that it doesn't leave any sticky residue. Just feels soft like after you have moisturized your hands.

FYI I have no affiliation with Apple leather - just found out about them through great reviews from a purse blog.

Would you happen to have a link?

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
damp warm cloth

I bought a nice leather couch a few years ago and want to properly take care of it so I spent an hour reading about leather care.

From what I recall, you don't want to keep putting protectant on leather to avoid build up. Most leather should be cleaned with simple towel moisten with warm water. One in a while you may try automotive leather cleaner (Lexor is a brand I recall) that contains the proper type of leather conditioner.

Kisey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
I bought a nice leather couch a few years ago and want to properly take care of it so I spent an hour reading about leather care.

From what I recall, you don't want to keep putting protectant on leather to avoid build up. Most leather should be cleaned with simple towel moisten with warm water. One in a while you may try automotive leather cleaner (Lexor is a brand I recall) that contains the proper type of leather conditioner.

The brand is Lexol: http://www.lexol.com/. I can vouch for Lexol products used in my car, but I'm not so sure how the product will behave with Apple accessories.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
The brand is Lexol: http://www.lexol.com/. I can vouch for Lexol products used in my car, but I'm not so sure how the product will behave with Apple accessories.

Many folks really like Lexol but I don't like how the leather feels and looks after using it. I find that it leaves the leather feeling a bit sticky and shiny. Whereas the Apple Brand leather conditioner leaves the leather just totally soft with really no change to the look of the leather.

I also usually only spray the protector maybe a couple or thee times a year. Just enough to keep water damage and staining away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.