Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
I saw that my Best Buy got some more rminis, so I figured it would be a good time to exchange my rmini for another one before they sell out, cause mine has dust under the screen (every ipad ive had has had dust, its just the matter of how much is too much), pretty bad retention and 1 dead pixel. No yellowing at all.

When I got there, there was a guy at the desk swapping out ipad minis. There was a stack of about 10 opened ones next to him as a couple Best buy persons was carrying them to the back to ship back to Apple.

I noticed he was powering on each one and testing for image retention and yellowing cause i saw the checkerboard! He would open one to test, see retention, then put it back in the box and the Best buy guy would hand him another from the cage. I decided to hang around for a bit cause I initially didnt know what he was doing. Finally after 17 rminis, he found one without problems! Only bad thing is that the store only got under 20 or so and he went through the entire stock and now Best buy is sold out. No more to sell to customers :( 16 of them going back to Apple.

My new one still has retention, but no dead pixels and no dust (what a shocker!), and nice whites, no yellowing. Ill just live with it for now, seems to be better than the one I brought in. And finding one without retention is like asking to hit the jackpot, just not gonna happen.

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
17? This guy you claim went through 17 of them is a problem. The iPad is not for him.

PS your title is super misleading. You imply you've been through 17, which would be even more inane.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
17? This guy you claim went through 17 of them is a problem. The iPad is not for him.

PS your title is super misleading. You imply you've been through 17, which would be even more inane.

The "guy" was a Best Buy EMPLOYEE checking the units before releasing them to customers, not Joe User that has exchanged 17 minis.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
Where are you noticing this dust under the screen, I have yet to see that on ANY of the iPads I have owned. It is in the corners, top, bottom, middle?

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
This Best Buy guy is lucky. He can return iPads all day without even buying them.

Bet you guys are jealous :)

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
The "guy" was a Best Buy EMPLOYEE checking the units before releasing them to customers, not Joe User that has exchanged 17 minis.

What BS, every time I have bought something at Bestbuy the package is sealed.
Any other urban rumors to spin?

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW
I saw that my Best Buy got some more rminis, so I figured it would be a good time to exchange my rmini for another one before they sell out, cause mine has dust under the screen (every ipad ive had has had dust, its just the matter of how much is too much), pretty bad retention and 1 dead pixel. No yellowing at all.

When I got there, there was a guy at the desk swapping out ipad minis. There was a stack of about 10 opened ones next to him as a couple Best buy persons was carrying them to the back to ship back to Apple.

I noticed he was powering on each one and testing for image retention and yellowing cause i saw the checkerboard! He would open one to test, see retention, then put it back in the box and the Best buy guy would hand him another from the cage. I decided to hang around for a bit cause I initially didnt know what he was doing. Finally after 17 rminis, he found one without problems! Only bad thing is that the store only got under 20 or so and he went through the entire stock and now Best buy is sold out. No more to sell to customers :( 16 of them going back to Apple.

My new one still has retention, but no dead pixels and no dust (what a shocker!), and nice whites, no yellowing. Ill just live with it for now, seems to be better than the one I brought in. And finding one without retention is like asking to hit the jackpot, just not gonna happen.

Total BS. Best Buy does not open sealed Apple products and turn them on to make sure there is no dust under the screen. If you are so down on the iPad mini maybe you should get one of those other great tablets, wait, there arn't any. I call BS!!!!!!!!!! picture or it didn't happen!

:apple:

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
I wonder just how bad the image retention issue is. I stopped by the Apple Store and looked at numerous minis and none of them had image retention. For me the Air is the device to have because of the big screen. The main reason to get the mini during the 3rd/4th gen era was how thin and light it was. Now that the Air is thin and light, the reason for a mini is not so clear cut. With the image retention issue, I would recommend just buying an Air and forget the mini.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
Total BS. Best Buy does not open sealed Apple products and turn them on to make sure there is no dust under the screen. If you are so down on the iPad mini maybe you should get one of those other great tablets, wait, there arn't any. I call BS!!!!!!!!!! picture or it didn't happen!

Opened rMinis probably means ones that were returned or exchanged with problems. Did you notice the part that said "to ship back to apple"?

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW
Opened rMinis probably means ones that were returned or exchanged with problems. Did you notice the part that said "to ship back to apple"?

Yes, I noticed that, BUT I do stand corrected, I did not notice it said "opened ones". My bad.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013

The OP edited the post, we don't know what real story is, if this even happened. Somebody seems to opening new ones in this "story"

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
so basically this thread should go to the wasteland.

BTW, didn't the OP make a post recently where it was discovered she herself had an asinine amount of returns? I'm too lazy to find it.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

A. Image retention on LCDs go away in 5 min...
B. The stupid image retention test takes 10 or more min each...

Best Buy would not bother testing these as they could send it back to apple no matter what. Having worked for Best Buy for 4 years in the past I think this story is complete bull. Miss Kitty trolls here all day deciding whether or not to keep the Air or her rMini and then goes on crazy rationalizing rants before she changes her mind again. At this point I wouldn't believe a single thing she posts.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
What BS, every time I have bought something at Bestbuy the package is sealed.
Any other urban rumors to spin?

I'm not spinning anything, the person I replied to seemed to be unable to comprehend what was written and I was clarifying. Either that or the original post was edited extensively and it didn't make any sense initially, I don't know since I didn't see the unedited post.

In any case, I'm not defending anyone here. I'm not inclined to believe what the OP said based on their other posts here, but that's another matter.

I guess you've never seen "new" products that were actually re-shrinkwrapped and re-sold. I have. It happens and it sucks.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
My mini has IR on the checkerboard test. Have I noticed it in day to day usage? No. Because you never use the iPad in such a way it will be noticeable.

On the MBPs it was an issue because of dashboard, photoshop, etc, all of which highlighted it.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I got the iPad Mini with Retina screen from a local Apple store a couple of weeks ago. Did I bother to test it for Image Retention? No. The day that I brought it home, sure, once I got it up and running I looked at the screen to ascertain that there was no obvious yellowing or any other color distortions. Nothing like that showed up, and so I said to myself, "great!" I have been using the thing very happily ever since.

I have been very happy with both my iPad Air (purchased in early November) and my iPad Mini (retina), I am sorry to learn that for various reasons others are not.

eggersj

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
Serious question... How would image retention affect your day to day use? Is it a serious problem, or just one of these anal guy apple issues?

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
This story lost credibility at the word Best Buy. Although it did make me laugh my a$$ off. So thanks for that.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Serious question... How would image retention affect your day to day use? Is it a serious problem, or just one of these anal guy apple issues?

Yes, exactly. Don't have a rMini, but out of curiosity, I ran the image retention test on my iPad Air. It seemed to have a very slight retention effect -- it was blink and you miss it type of thing. I shrugged and kept using and enjoying my Air. It's not a real life problem.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida

It doesn't. Not unless you are in the habit of staring at checkerboards for 20 minutes. :rolleyes:

If you can see images retained during normal use, then by all means, exchange it. But if you are in the habit of locking yourself into dark rooms and watching a black screen at full brightness, then, well, you get what you deserve...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.