Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xMBPx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
I'm getting the iPhone 5s soon and want everything transferred from my iPhone 4 except the old texts. How would I go about doing this?

Thanks!

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW
I'm getting the iPhone 5s soon and want everything transferred from my iPhone 4 except the old texts. How would I go about doing this?

Thanks!

Delete all texts from old iphone.
Backup old phone to itunes.
Restore from backup your new phone.
Everything will be there.

:apple:

xMBPx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
Delete all texts from old iphone.
Backup old phone to itunes.
Restore from backup your new phone.
Everything will be there.

Thanks, I guess I should have mentioned that I would like my old phone to retain the old texts ...but I don't want them cluttering up the new phone.

I guess I could just delete them after the backup, but I was thinking maybe there was a way I wouldn't have to transfer them at all.

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW
Thanks, I guess I should have mentioned that I would like my old phone to retain the old texts ...but I don't want them cluttering up the new phone.

I guess I could just delete them after the backup, but I was thinking maybe there was a way I wouldn't have to transfer them at all.

I am not aware of a way to do that. Deleting them off the new phone would only take a minute.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
How about this:

1. Back up old phone with texts
2. Delete texts
3. Back up old phone without texts
4. Restore new phone with backup from 3
5. Restore old phone with backup from 1

You are given the option which backup you want to use so this may work.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
The answer is that there is no way to specify how many of your texts are saved on your back up. That only leaves the two choices discussed here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.