Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christo930

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2013
've always been suspicious of devices with cameras and no light to indicate that it's on. My GF got an iPhone and subsequently dropped it and cracked the screen (I've got a new one, I just got to get around to getting another case cracker to fix it) so she gave me the iPhone and bought an Android phone. Ordinarily, I would just put black tape over the cameras, but I use them occasionally. I could also disconnect the mic from inside when I open it to replace the screen, but again I sometimes use it. Does anyone know of an IOS app that will tell you, in EVERY circumstances that the camera or mic has been activated?

A couple years ago, a HS in my area (Bensalem, PA, borders Philly) was remotely activating teenagers laptops that were given to them by the school. They were even spying on teenagers in their bedrooms. It was a big scandal around here, and I think it made national news.

Privacy is becoming a bigger and bigger concern as the US continues to accelerate to being a full blown police state. A recent video put up by person I follow on YT had in the title (though I haven't watched it yet) that the FBI (and presumably other gov agencies) can remotely turn on cameras and microphones and with the iPhone, there is no indication the camera has been activated.

Another thing is that I use this completely as an iPod Touch with GPS for biking because it has that GPS and has a much bigger battery than my iPod touch. I want to completely disable the cellular ability. Some preliminary research has led me to believe that I can simply disconnect the antenna inside, though it's not clear if it's the same as the wifi antenna (I'm not sure that's even possible because they use different wavelengths). Even without the phone being active, it can still communicate with the cellular system and I want to completely eliminate that.

My Model # is MC676LL/a
IOS version : 6.1.3 (10B329)

Right now I have it set to airplane mode with wi-fi turned on, but with Apple products, you never know what they are doing behind your back.

I also have an iPod Touch 4 with IOS 6 on it and I was wondering if there was any software that would in all cases, let me know preferably by audio that the camera or mic has been activated.

If anyone can render any assistance, I would greatly appreciate it.

Chris

nightstalkerz

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2013
iOS7 has microphone access in the settings so you can enable/disable whenever you need to use an app which requires it.

You need to use a chinese sim card/iPhone to get the front camera privacy in the settings though.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You are way to late, the NSA has already spotted your post and knows who you are. They have already tapped into your personal electronic devices and can monitor you without you knowing it.

Seriously if you are that worried the FBI can just hack your iPhone, get off the digital map. Or just be reasonable and put black tape over the cameras and microphone and turn them off in restrictions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.