Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
OK, chasing my tail on this one.

Right now, I have a QS 1.2Ghz (Sonnett upgrade) with 1.5GB ram, running Leopard. I've got two displays, courtesy of the default NVIDIA GeForce2MX and an ATI Rage 128.

What I want is to find the best video card I can for this Mac without having to flash anything.

That last time I dealt with video cards it was 2000-2001 and I was dealing with PCs. Since then all my Macs have been PowerBooks. This is my first G4.

I'm not intending to do any heavy gaming although having that ability would be cool. But mainly it would be used for design work.

So what can I put in this thing? I don't want to filch something off eBay only to find I could have gotten a better card later on.

And once I get it, what do I have to do to make it work in my Mac?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I think the best non-flashed or modified G4 video card is the Radeon 9700 Pro. I also think that only works in MDD machines. It's also a very rare card being the only G4 ADC CoreImage card.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I think the best non-flashed or modified G4 video card is the Radeon 9700 Pro. I also think that only works in MDD machines. It's also a very rare card being the only G4 ADC CoreImage card.
Thanks Intell! Again…;)

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Please note I could be completely wrong about some of that. PowerPC video cards aren't my strongest suit of cards.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Please note I could be completely wrong about some of that. PowerPC video cards aren't my strongest suit of cards.
No problem. I'm watching one right now. If I had the money at the moment, I'd get it, but alas, payday is two days away still. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.