Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woodslanding

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
I have a mac mini with 2 drives. One has a perfectly functioning EFI windows boot going.

I'd like to get a mac OS running on the other drive, which I wiped, since it became unbootable after a partitioning error. I have a time machine backup for it.

I couldn't use the disk util in recovery to wipe it, because it insists on wiping both drives(!), and the other is set up and running windows just fine, so I used parted magic.

Problem is, I can't seem to set up the disk so time machine can use it.

Using parted magic, I set the partition type to gpt, created an efi partition and formatted the rest as HFS+ but Time Machine says "Cannot erase the Disk"! I tried formatting the whole disk as HFS+, same problem. Is there something else I'm missing? I've tried with an unformatted disk, and it is not recognized.

What does time machine need to see? I'm assuming I could set it up somehow from the command line in recovery, if parted magic can't be counted on to format a usable drive. But I don't know enough to try that, and a search on this problem suggests it's not common.....

Thanks for any tips!

cheers,
-eric

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.