'The Room Two' Now Available for iPad - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Dec 12, 2013, 05:35 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'The Room Two' Now Available for iPad

Developer Fireproof Games has released The Room Two for iOS devices, which acts as a follow up title to Apple's 2012 selection for iPad Game of the Year, The Room. Much like its predecessor, The Room Two centers around puzzle-based gameplay as the player attempts to solved a general mystery left behind by a scientist, traveling through various locations in search of various clues. The game also includes iCloud syncing and Game Center Support for saves and leaderboards respectively, as well as dynamic sound effects that adapt to the game environment.
Quote:
Welcome to The Room Two, a physical puzzler, wrapped in a mystery game, inside a beautifully tactile 3D world.
The much anticipated sequel to 'The Room', Apple's Game of the Year 2012 and recipient of a BAFTA award, is here at last.
Follow a trail of cryptic letters from an enigmatic scientist known only as "AS" into a compelling world of mystery and exploration.

Article Link: 'The Room Two' Now Available for iPad
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 05:38 AM   #2
djtech42
macrumors 65816

Seems similar to Myst
Old Dec 12, 2013, 05:42 AM   #3
kgeier82
macrumors 65816

First one was awesome
kgeier82 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 05:54 AM   #4
OS X Dude
macrumors 6502a

Is the story a direct continuation of where the original left off? I'd get it for that if so
H&K TubeMeister 18 Head
OS X Dude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 06:13 AM   #5
falkedup
macrumors regular

No iPhone version makes me sad
falkedup is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 06:17 AM   #6
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

Ha ha, what a story Macrumors.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 06:47 AM   #7
braddick
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakaku View Post
Ha ha, what a story Macrumors.
Yes.
Could we please read again how Obama took a selfie at a funeral?
braddick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 06:54 AM   #8
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by falkedup View Post
Me too, but it's coming early next year.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 07:04 AM   #9
adamneer
macrumors regular

considering how little replay value it has after you beat the game, it sure would have been nice for this to be a free update to those of us who've already paid the $5 for the first game. $5 might not be much, and I know continued income is what keeps the developer going, but when you consider angry birds costs like $2 and they give you bundles of new levels for free on a fairly consistent basis, it makes it annoying when a game that costs more than twice that gives you roughly 4 hours of total gameplay. not that i won't still pay the $5 for the new one because it's the best game I've ever played on the iPad...
adamneer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 07:27 AM   #10
jjq224
macrumors newbie

No love for the iPhone

I think it sucks that more and more developers are only making apps for the iPad. Where is the love for us iPhone users?

I thought the first The Room was awesome. Saw the headline and without reading the article went right to the app store - only to find out after reading that it isn't available for the iPhone.

Come on developers - try to remember us lowly non-iPad owners.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 07:30 AM   #11
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

This is brilliant news, the first one was absolutely one of my favourite games last year, I've been waiting for an update with much anticipation. Just hope there are more chapters than last year's so it lasts longer - so sad when you finish the game.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 07:36 AM   #12
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Upon reading the title, I got my hopes up for a sequel.

Thumb resize.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 07:43 AM   #13
Asuriyan
macrumors 6502a

I enjoyed the first one. It was rather short, but the puzzles are so intricate that I can see how designing something like that might be time consuming.

My only question is why they didn't release this as an update to the original, episode two if you will. The story was not concluded at all from what I remember.
Asuriyan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 07:59 AM   #14
iZac
macrumors 65816

I loved the last one but finished in a couple of hours. I have high hopes for this one - just hope it runs a little longer!
iZac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 08:24 AM   #15
NachoGrande
macrumors 6502

Love this game, I hope it's a bit longer.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 08:28 AM   #16
clukas
macrumors 6502a

I must say the trailer is amazing! Something you would expect for a cinema movie or high end console game. Look forward to playing this.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 08:59 AM   #17
mainer4101
macrumors member

I actually found the first one to have a lot of replayability (?) and I am sure this one will too.

I don't mind paying for it, and completely understand why it's not a free update. The first was what, $2. Hugely popular and quite technical. They did good work, certainly worthy of making some money from it.
mainer4101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 09:00 AM   #18
japanime
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamneer View Post
considering how little replay value it has after you beat the game, it sure would have been nice for this to be a free update to those of us who've already paid the $5 for the first game. $5 might not be much, and I know continued income is what keeps the developer going, but when you consider angry birds costs like $2 and they give you bundles of new levels for free on a fairly consistent basis, it makes it annoying when a game that costs more than twice that gives you roughly 4 hours of total gameplay. not that i won't still pay the $5 for the new one because it's the best game I've ever played on the iPad...
C'mon, throw the developers another $5. The first game was fantastic, and this one is hopefully just as good (and maybe even better).

Think of it as another cup of coffee from Starbucks. You wouldn't return each morning with your empty cup from the day before, expecting a free refill, right?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 09:11 AM   #19
D.T.
macrumors 68020

We had a great time with the first one. We put it up on the TV with AirPlay/Share, and the wife and I kicked back and relaxed in the evening and played together.

Neat design, interesting puzzles, even though it was short I thought it was _well_ worth the $5 (though I think I scored it for $2.99[?]).

Will definitely pick this one up!
Old Dec 12, 2013, 10:04 AM   #20
MrXiro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanime View Post
C'mon, throw the developers another $5. The first game was fantastic, and this one is hopefully just as good (and maybe even better).

Think of it as another cup of coffee from Starbucks. You wouldn't return each morning with your empty cup from the day before, expecting a free refill, right?
It's amazing what we are willing to pay for these days and what we aren't. $5 for a good video game that lasts a few hours of enjoyment is too much but $5 for a cup of milk and dirty water (I drink coffee... it's water run through burnt beans = dirty water, deal with it) that we finish in about 20 minutes is reasonable enough to go back daily for.

I'm not judging, I do the same thing all the time in various situations. I'll return a $30 video game to Best Buy if I can get it $1 cheaper at Amazon... But then I'll go spend $109 on my 15th pair of headphones without a 2nd thought. It's just funny.

First one is FREE right now BTW. Just got it. I actually never heard of it until today. Hope I enjoy it!
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:00 AM   #21
OldSchoolMacGuy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by falkedup View Post
The graphics and gameplay just don't lend themselves well to the small screen of an iPhone.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXiro View Post
It's amazing what we are willing to pay for these days and what we aren't. $5 for a good video game that lasts a few hours of enjoyment is too much but $5 for a cup of milk and dirty water (I drink coffee... it's water run through burnt beans = dirty water, deal with it) that we finish in about 20 minutes is reasonable enough to go back daily for.

I'm not judging, I do the same thing all the time in various situations. I'll return a $30 video game to Best Buy if I can get it $1 cheaper at Amazon... But then I'll go spend $109 on my 15th pair of headphones without a 2nd thought. It's just funny.

First one is FREE right now BTW. Just got it. I actually never heard of it until today. Hope I enjoy it!
I've always been amazed by this. We see it even more so with Android. They'll go with a **** app that does 1 thing OK vs paying $1 for a killer app that does that thing awesome along with a bunch of other stuff. It's one of the reasons developers go with iOS.

Just as you said, people aren't willing to spend a dollar on an app they use all the time and love but they will drop $5 every day on a cup of coffee they don't really like that much.
OldSchoolMacGuy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:14 PM   #22
D.T.
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXiro View Post
It's amazing what we are willing to pay for these days and what we aren't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMacGuy View Post
I've always been amazed by this.
It’s funny how the mobile app market has kind of reset our thinking of pricing for software. Our little on wanted another Toca Boca app (they’re all pretty darn cute), and I was thinking, “geez, they’re $2.99 each...” before I caught myself and realized she probably got 50+ hours out of the last one (and will probably come back to it on occasion) - that’s pretty cheap entertainment.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:18 PM   #23
Brittany246
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
It's probably because it takes more effort to make the room 2; I could be wrong though. Angry bird games are all basically the same.
Brittany246 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:35 PM   #24
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68000

Quote:
absurd. sequels are not free.

the game took me longer than 4 hours. certainly worth the price of a beer or a fancy coffee.

Angry Birds does such an insane amount of volume they can lower their margins. their merch licensing alone probably brings in more than this studio's entire bottom line.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuriyan View Post
I enjoyed the first one. It was rather short, but the puzzles are so intricate that I can see how designing something like that might be time consuming.

My only question is why they didn't release this as an update to the original, episode two if you will. The story was not concluded at all from what I remember.
why wasnt Star Wars released in one go? same story.

sequel.
mdelvecchio is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:45 PM   #25
Moonlight
macrumors 6502

The first one was one of the best iPad games ever. This is a must buy!!!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion