Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brdaykin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2013
Wisconsin
Hi,

I'm looking for advice on setting up a new Desktop. My situation seems complicated to me but maybe it's not. Any advice, guidance would be welcome.

I had an '05 iMac until about '11 or so, when it died. At the time, I had a MBP that then sort of inherited the "Main Mac" role, and tried to transfer both iTunes and iPhoto libraries to it... I probably lost some files. Between my MBP and the purchase of my Air, we started moving things to the cloud, and now my Air doesn't host anything locally but the MBP does, but the MBP is dying or dead... it had an accident and has been on its way out. Meanwhile, we have peripheries that are also accessing the libraries from Match and iCloud.

So now I'm looking at a new iMac, which I'm very excited about, but I'd sort of like to start over, if possible, and make that iMac essentially our home server from which the Cloud and other devices draw information. I've had a TON of trouble with Match and iTunes, especially when it comes to putting songs directly onto iPhones, and my hope is that the problem is that we don't have a local library that's all on one device.

What's your advice on how to proceed? My inclination is to firewire the MBP (hopefully) upon setup and transfer all its locally stored information to the desktop but I'm stressing about Gallery, Match, Pages docs... all that information that doesn't really "live" anywhere... and maybe doesn't have to? I'd like to kind of start over with everything on the desktop, then pushing things to the cloud from there once I know that there's a local drive and a backup but that feels like extra (and dumb) work.

I'm CERTAIN I've overthinking this... Advice, guidance, aid... all is welcome. Thanks in advance...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.