Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
I was exporting a video (10.5Gb) from iMovie, and I set up my iMac to switch off the screen after 1 minute, and the box "prevent iMac from entering sleep when display turns off" is checked. "Put hard drives to sleep" and "wake for network access" are switched off. I then leave it; and after a minute, the screen powers down but still continues to export in iMovie. Just what I want it to do.

The thing is it makes a clicking/static sound (hard to describe, not loud, just noticeable; happens randomly with no rhythm), when the display is off, yet the second it goes back on, it doesn't do it i.e it stops when I press a key on the keyboard to power up the screen again. The noise does not occur though when I leave it to do another task with the same setup (like converting video formats in Handbrake), it is silent.

Is this a software sound? It only happens with iMovie, and stops when the screen is put on. There is no noise when put to sleep either; just in that iMovie instance.

PS- My iMac is a late 2013 21'' with 8Gb of RAM, 1TB HDD, 2.9Ghz i5.

What do you guys think?

Is it something to worry about. I have a 3 year guarantee with John Lewis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.