Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kay

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2002
What do you guys think will be included in the next TiBook upgrade, probably at Seybold or MacWorld Tokyo?

Currently, the 3 TiBooks are:

550MHz Power PC G4
256MB SDRAM memory
20GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon w/ 16MB DDR video memory

667MHz Power PC G4
512MB SDRAM memory
30GB Ultra ATA drive

667MHz Power PC G4
1GB SDRAM memory
48GB Ultra ATA drive

I'd like to see:

700MHz Power PC G4
256MB SDRAM memory
30GB Ultra ATA drive
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX w/ 32MB DDR graphics

700MHz Power PC G4
512MB SDRAM memory
40GB Ultra ATA drive

800MHz Power PC G4
1GB SDRAM memory
60GB Ultra ATA drive
SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

What does everyone think is likely?

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
No superdrive

Sorry. no superdrive in the TiBook for a long time to come. Do you realize how SMALL that book is, and how HUGE the superdrive is?

Nice thought though :p

kay

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2002
I guess my post was basically asking, "Is a SuperDrive being developed that could fit in the TiBook?" Do we have any evidence for or against this?

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Originally posted by kay
I guess my post was basically asking, "Is a SuperDrive being developed that could fit in the TiBook?" Do we have any evidence for or against this?

I haven't heard any rumors about a slot-loading SuperDrive, but I do have to wonder, could you even burn a full DVD on battery power without draining it? Seems to me that 40+ minutes of burning is asking a LOT of batteries which manage only about 3 hours under "normal" use. If the battery can't handle it, it would foolish to put the drive in there.

kay

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2002
Originally posted by IndyGopher

I haven't heard any rumors about a slot-loading SuperDrive, but I do have to wonder, could you even burn a full DVD on battery power without draining it? Seems to me that 40+ minutes of burning is asking a LOT of batteries which manage only about 3 hours under "normal" use. If the battery can't handle it, it would foolish to put the drive in there.

That's a good point. I wonder if battery life will be increased on the new TiBook as well.

Bottom line is yes, the SuperDrive is a long shot. A very, very long shot.

DavidCL23

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2001
NJ
Still @ $3000 + $350 applecare + $650ish for basic software I want to be able to burn dvd's when I am plugged in, I want my Ti-Book to become my main computer including my pc (under emulation).

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Originally posted by DavidCL23
Still @ $3000 + $350 applecare + $650ish for basic software I want to be able to burn dvd's when I am plugged in, I want my Ti-Book to become my main computer including my pc (under emulation).
I have had a Quicksilver 867 since they were released, and I have burned exactly 2 DVD's for my own use since then. I have burned others, transferring VHS tapes (weddings, parties, births) to DVD for others (Not really cost-effective as a business venture... it takes several hours to do well, and people don't wanna pay $200+ for them) but I am curious what people DO with their DVD burners?

kay

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2002
Originally posted by IndyGopher
I am curious what people DO with their DVD burners?

I have access to a DVD burner, although I myself don't own one (I have a G4 400MHz... waiting for the new pro models - PowerMac G5, TiBook - to replace). All I've done is create DVDs of Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes up until now from my VHS tapes. But now that Paramount is releasing each season on DVD as a boxed set, I'll stop doing that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.