Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
Hi there

I am thinking of buying a brand new and sealed MacBook Air 13" (2013) from someone, as I found it a lot cheaper. They have proven it's sealed by providing some photos of the box.

They have also provided the serial, which states the following in the Apple Check Support Coverage website.

Screen Shot 2013-12-15 at 12.18.14 am.png

Does this mean that they have never registered it? And when I boot up and register the Mac with my Apple ID, I will then get the standard 1 year warranty in my name?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Means 1 of 2 things.

1, it's unregistered and never used

2, it's used but has never been registered.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
Thank you

I'm quite sure it's unused. So if I register it to my Apple ID, I will get the 1 year coverage right?

And if it's used, I would still get the coverage as it would not be registered?

Just checking before I spill the money!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The warranty is one year from the date of the original sale and registration has nothing to do with it. You could buy a new Macbook and leave it unopened on a shelf for a year and it would be out of warranty.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
The warranty is one year from the date of the original sale and registration has nothing to do with it. You could buy a new Macbook and leave it unopened on a shelf for a year and it would be out of warranty.

^+1.

This makes more sense.

Folks don't register electronics all the time, if Apple goes by registration only, can you imagine how much "open" liability they are up for? No, capitalism doesn't allow that.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
Thanks

Ok, say they bought the MacBook 1 month ago. If I boot it up and register it to my AppleID, will I definitely get 11 months warranty in my name?

What can I do to make sure I don't run into any issues. Is there anything else I should ask them for?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks

Ok, say they bought the MacBook 1 month ago. If I boot it up and register it to my AppleID, will I definitely get 11 months warranty in my name?

What can I do to make sure I don't run into any issues. Is there anything else I should ask them for?

Yes, exactly. It will be one year from the original purchase date. I would ask them for the original receipt so you can prove what the original purchase date was.

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
As with any purchase of used equipment of substantial value, I'd ask for a simple sales contract.

"Person A is selling Item X (serial number 1234) to Person B for $n dollars on the ___ day of month/year."

That's a legal sales contract, as it describes the basic transfer of property from one party to another with a date and transaction terms.

Of course, a series of eBay/Craigslist/whatever ad listing screens/e-mails/whatever may provide the same information, but this is a concise and less ambiguous way of handling things.

Most simple sales contracts will also include a location of the transaction, and may reiterate that local laws governing such transactions are in effect. That means if Party A sells Party B a California-registered motor vehicle in Los Angeles, neither party can challenged the transactions with the Mississippi vehicle code.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.