Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
Not surprising. It's a good device. It's a real phablet.

Phablet = phone + tablet capabilities/apps

Most other phones just equal huge screen i.e. Nokia 1520.

lighthouse_man

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2005
Maybe $300 on a contract but it actually costs much more.
The question now is to verify if Samsung hasn't altered the salesmarks...

PollyK

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
Whether you have one or not, you gotta give Samsung credit for pioneering this market. When the first Note came out, it was nonstop joking about its size from the industry "analysts" and so called "professional reviewers." Forums like this were filled with the clueless posting pics of people holding an iPad to their head mocking the size of the Note. Now look where we are, all OEMs are making or planning to make a phablet. The Note series is only second in sales to the Galaxy S series. Kudos to Samsung. Options is what the market needs to grow.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
The Note 3 and the 2 were awesome but the Note 1? Not so much

My mom is getting rid of her iphone, she's 69 and she wants a bigger screen, I'm pushing her towards the Note 3.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
MN
The Note 3 and the 2 were awesome but the Note 1? Not so much

My mom is getting rid of her iphone, she's 69 and she wants a bigger screen, I'm pushing her towards the Note 3.

As for the Note 1, I disagree. The phone itself was/is awesome (especially once it got Jelly Bean). The real problem was/is the battery. However, since you can replace the battery, it's not a problem. Also, if it wasn't pretty good, there probably wouldn't be either a Note 2 or 3.

simonappheros

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2013
Australia
This is really great. Samsung has really done a great job as for as the enhancement of the device and technology. But the figure shows that brand consciousness is concerned apple is still ahead of the samsung

Henfold

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2010
Am thinking of selling my iPhone 5 and getting a Galaxy Note 3. I make very few phone calls but do like to view movies while working shifts at my desk, so the larger screen (until Apple produce a phone with a 5" screen) would be nice.

My only concern is my email situation....I have various .mac email addresses from the old mobile.me system....can you configure this Samsung device so I get all my Apple emails OK?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
My only concern is my email situation....I have various .mac email addresses from the old mobile.me system....can you configure this Samsung device so I get all my Apple emails OK?

Yes.

I too have old legacy .mac email addresses and surprisingly Note 3 email app has no trouble auto config when adding them.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
You can pick up iCloud / MobileMe / .mac emails up using IMAP on the built in mail client: I do it with mine. On the Note 3, you can also configure it for push with IMAP accounts (I think it probably uses IMAP IDLE rather than "true" push, but mails come through instantly regardless)

The only limitation is you can only reply from the primary email address, not an alias (i.e. it will pick up emails addressed to aliases but AFAIK, it will always reply to them from the account ID email address)

Henfold

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2010
Yes.

I too have old legacy .mac email addresses and surprisingly Note 3 email app has no trouble auto config when adding them.

You can pick up iCloud / MobileMe / .mac emails up using IMAP on the built in mail client: I do it with mine. On the Note 3, you can also configure it for push with IMAP accounts (I think it probably uses IMAP IDLE rather than "true" push, but mails come through instantly regardless)

The only limitation is you can only reply from the primary email address, not an alias (i.e. it will pick up emails addressed to aliases but AFAIK, it will always reply to them from the account ID email address)

Ah good to know....am really interested now!

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Galaxy Notes are the only Samsung line of products I genuinely like from them ever since the first gen Note in 2011. Not too shabby in sales for a niche device. It sells better than many other Android OEM flagships. Note 3 is the only device I would trade my One for.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Galaxy Notes are the only Samsung line of products I genuinely like from them ever since the first gen Note in 2011. Not too shabby in sales for a niche device. It sells better than many other Android OEM flagships. Note 3 is the only device I would trade my One for.

Probably when it first came out but not anymore. I personally love my Note 3 and can't imagine using any other Android device. That is until the next greatest thing comes out :D

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Can't wait to pick one up next month! Samsung has done a tremendous job with it.

The fact that their niche product outsells everyone else is downright pathetic for other OEMs :D

maximus96

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Amazon has the att version for $150 now...I paid the full $300 two months ago...I think next year I will wait till black friday or christmas...

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
Amazon has the att version for $150 now...I paid the full $300 two months ago...I think next year I will wait till black friday or christmas...

That is only for a new customer, upgrade is 200. BBY and I believe Radio Shack have the same deal.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Great phone. I just wish Samsung would make Touchwiz less bloated. Stock android even on my old galaxy nexus feels lighter.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Great phone. I just wish Samsung would make Touchwiz less bloated. Stock android even on my old galaxy nexus feels lighter.

Yep.. This more than anything is what samsung need to do. They need to do exactly what HTC did with Sense 5. Realising their skin was getting bloated and cumbersome - they basically started from scratch - cutting out needless animations and before iOS 7 anti-skeumorphic approach - HTC already applied the same aesthetic approach across Sense 5 making all their stock apps coherent and consistent (more so than Apple). Simple little things like swiping in contacts to switch between dialer / contacts / favourites for example rather than relying on pressing tab buttons.

They also reduced memory footprint hugely - making it as lean on memory as stock android.

In comparison to my S4 the HTC One ran with 500-700mb less at all times. That's a dramatic difference when the S4 was running at full load and running same applications.

Samung have made some great hardware this year - but their software is getting toooooo bloated. Strip it back - drop needless additions that most folks will turn off and concentrate on making the 'existing' user experience much improved rather than just throwing another kitchen sink into the mix and hoping the cpu & gpu will carry it.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Yep.. This more than anything is what samsung need to do. They need to do exactly what HTC did with Sense 5. Realising their skin was getting bloated and cumbersome - they basically started from scratch - cutting out needless animations and before iOS 7 anti-skeumorphic approach - HTC already applied the same aesthetic approach across Sense 5 making all their stock apps coherent and consistent (more so than Apple). Simple little things like swiping in contacts to switch between dialer / contacts / favourites for example rather than relying on pressing tab buttons.

They also reduced memory footprint hugely - making it as lean on memory as stock android.

In comparison to my S4 the HTC One ran with 500-700mb less at all times. That's a dramatic difference when the S4 was running at full load and running same applications.

Samung have made some great hardware this year - but their software is getting toooooo bloated. Strip it back - drop needless additions that most folks will turn off and concentrate on making the 'existing' user experience much improved rather than just throwing another kitchen sink into the mix and hoping the cpu & gpu will carry it.

I'll second this. It's time for a complete debloat of TW.

Even though the GN3 is smooth as silk, it's time.

Remember when MotoBlur was junk? Now Moto took the time to take everything out and its fantastic b

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009

The need to do even more than that. Start with a stock android build and add what you need to that like motorola. Don't rewrite all of the core apps and skin everything. A stock android phone with the extra camera features, some of the better motion controls (the ones that work), and some other polished features would be great. But the hundreds of extra apps and services that ship on the GN3 is unnecessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.