Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
I have an late 2013 27" iMac. I upped the specs to the high end i7, updated graphics, and a 256 GB SSD. I did not upgrade from the stock 8 GB of RAM yet.

I have two 3 TB Thunderbolt drives. One of them is for my iTunes library.

I have a very large iTunes library — about 2.2 TB, 201,325 items (I have a large music collection myself and recently inherited a huge classical music collection from someone who was somewhat of a hoarder).

I'm seeing a lot of beachballs in iTunes — presumably because of the shear size.

What I'm wondering is if this is an issue that I can just throw RAM at. Or is it a limitation of iTunes? If the latter is true, what's the suggested fix — split the library up, or use some other program?

If I can solve this by adding more RAM, that would be great. Anyone else have experience with this issue?

Last edited:

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
I have an late 2013 27" iMac. I upped the specs to the high end i7, updated graphics, and a 256 GB SSD. I did not upgrade from the stock 8 GB of RAM yet.

I have two 3 TB Thunderbolt drives. One of them is for my iTunes library.

I have a very large iTunes library — about 1.2 TB, 201,325 items (I have a large music collection myself and recently inherited a huge classical music collection from someone who was somewhat of a hoarder).

I'm seeing a lot of beachballs in iTunes — presumably because of the shear size.

What I'm wondering is if this is an issue that I can just throw RAM at. Or is it a limitation of iTunes? If the latter is true, what's the suggested fix — split the library up, or use some other program?

If I can solve this by adding more RAM, that would be great. Anyone else have experience with this issue?

It is probably processing the songs at the moment once that is completed it will be back to normal. When I did it recently with my ~15K library puny compared to yours it took hours on my 6 core mac Pro. You can check my theory by looking at the song title at the top if you see up/down arrows click on them to see what stage it is at in the process it goes through several one after the other until it is completely done ie. it processes every song individually for each stage it is in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.