Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LouisLivesLife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Hi guys,

I've 'attempted' to spice up my desktop today and this is the final result. I'm sure there little tweaks out there that could make my desktop look a little better. If any of you know of any, please let me know, I'd appreciate it a lot. Any feedback is welcome!

I've added a few photos so you can get an idea of what might be done better.
cheers!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-15 at 16.32.20.png
    Screen Shot 2013-12-15 at 16.32.20.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 393
  • Screen Shot 2013-12-15 at 16.32.27.png
    Screen Shot 2013-12-15 at 16.32.27.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 465
  • Screen Shot 2013-12-15 at 16.32.36.png
    Screen Shot 2013-12-15 at 16.32.36.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 467

GrumpyGeek

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2013
Canada eh?
Hi guys,

I've 'attempted' to spice up my desktop today and this is the final result. I'm sure there little tweaks out there that could make my desktop look a little better. If any of you know of any, please let me know, I'd appreciate it a lot. Any feedback is welcome!

cheers!

The folders for your media look absolutely amazing!!!

M0esmac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
UK
Hi guys,

cheers!

Christ this is beautiful. Maybe you can share the icons, even if I don't have any use for them? :D I usually download TV show episodes and delete straight away, but once I get a NAS - this should be perfect.

How do you store everything there? What quality are the shows? HDTV or 720 HDTV?

LouisLivesLife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Christ this is beautiful. Maybe you can share the icons, even if I don't have any use for them? :D I usually download TV show episodes and delete straight away, but once I get a NAS - this should be perfect.

How do you store everything there? What quality are the shows? HDTV or 720 HDTV?

Hi M0esmac,

First off I shouldn't take all credit, I got the folder customisation idea from some guy on deviantart! I have added some folders myself though. It's fairly easy to do in photoshop if you make a template. All of the dock icons are customised by me too.
Call me old fashioned but I still buy my dvd' s. I usually have them stored at 720p on my drive :)

If you want you can pass me your email so I can help you out with the folders Hope this helped a bit.

applegeek897

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2011
Looks incredible, it would be great it you would put it up for download or maybe show how you did it.

Thanks.

M0esmac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
UK
Hi M0esmac,

First off I shouldn't take all credit, I got the folder customisation idea from some guy on deviantart! I have added some folders myself though. It's fairly easy to do in photoshop if you make a template. All of the dock icons are customised by me too.
Call me old fashioned but I still buy my dvd' s. I usually have them stored at 720p on my drive :)

If you want you can pass me your email so I can help you out with the folders Hope this helped a bit.

Looks incredible, it would be great it you would put it up for download or maybe show how you did it.

Thanks.

I second that. I need them icons! :D

LouisLivesLife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
I second that. I need them icons! :D

I think you would make many people happy if you could post the template and instuctions for those folder icons!! me included!!

Great work!!

Hey guys, sorry I've kept you waiting but I'm fairly busy finishing off a marketing project at the moment. In order to get my degree at the end of the year it's very important to make it as good as possible and therefor pretty damn high up my priority list :rolleyes:

Anyway I should be able to post the instructions on how to make these during the weekend.

M0esmac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
UK
Hey guys, sorry I've kept you waiting but I'm fairly busy finishing off a marketing project at the moment. In order to get my degree at the end of the year it's very important to make it as good as possible and therefor pretty damn high up my priority list :rolleyes:

Anyway I should be able to post the instructions on how to make these during the weekend.

Hey man, did you forget us?:rolleyes:

jkim3691

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Hi guys,

cheers!

Great thread, I've always had an interest in this kind of stuff. (Not all that advanced/great at it though). I do minor tweaks here and there.

http://digitalvanity.me/

I always browse through this site daily to look for inspiration.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
I found a psd file on deviantart here, as well as a gallery with some nice folders here.

I tried making some folders myself, although I didn't use the psd file I linked - I just started with a generic folder pic and added layers.

Screen Shot 2013-12-30 at 8.44.28 AM.png

Prosammer

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2012
Netherlands
Hi guys,

cheers!

woah, very nice.
What's that app/ext called (iTunes icon-thing) in the top right corner.

LouisLivesLife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
woah, very nice.
What's that app/ext called (iTunes icon-thing) in the top right corner.

The app you're talking about is according to me one of the most underrated ones on the market. It's called CoverSutra. The reason most people look past it is because it's a paid app. If you're into music and use the iTunes app it's simply a must have. Its super easy to use, looks great and doesn't get in the way like most other utility apps.

I've added a few screenshots below, I have yet to import my music on my new iMac but it should give you an idea of what it looks like. :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-06 at 17.30.05.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-06 at 17.30.05.png
    324.4 KB · Views: 152
  • Screen Shot 2014-01-06 at 17.30.23.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-01-06 at 17.30.23.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 155

LouisLivesLife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
as for all of you still waiting for me to provide you with all the templates, I'm currently looking for my external hard drive, once it reveals itself I'll hook you guys up :)

iUser.

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2013
Hi guys,

cheers!

where are your dock icons from??

LouisLivesLife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Found my external and decided to update with the movie section :)

Also, unfortunately I have tried but failed to share the folders with you guys! Both on Mediafire and Rapidshare but they wont let me upload the folders and because I don't have the .Png files anymore i just can't share these seeing as all of the changes are local.

However! 'Sital' already linked the template that I used to make mine so you should be fine making some yourself. Also most of the ones I use come from deviantart.
Simply download any .png or .ico file, open it, press Cmd+A followed by Cmd+C, then open up your folders 'show info' and press the icon preview followed by Cmd+V.

Hope that helps :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-08 at 18.20.03.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-08 at 18.20.03.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 186
  • Screen Shot 2014-01-08 at 18.19.01.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-08 at 18.19.01.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 176

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
The app you're talking about is according to me one of the most underrated ones on the market. It's called CoverSutra. The reason most people look past it is because it's a paid app. If you're into music and use the iTunes app it's simply a must have. Its super easy to use, looks great and doesn't get in the way like most other utility apps.

I've added a few screenshots below, I have yet to import my music on my new iMac but it should give you an idea of what it looks like. :)

Yeah, it was a neat app, apparently the developer went to work at Apple and it basically fell into no-update/no-support mode.

FWIW, Alfred with the PowerPack has a nice iTunes search feature that shows album art, tracks, etc., in fact, it looks a bit like CoverSutra (plus Alfred is a kickass piece of utility software :D )

LouisLivesLife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Oh really? Never knew he did :) His work does really fit in with their image I think, look & feel wise that is. And I've heard from so many people around that Alfred is a great app, I've given it a try before but never really got into it for some reason. Maybe it's the hat logo lol. I'll have to give it another try :rolleyes:

Off topic: I saw that you're from Florida. I've been planning to move abroad since the day I left collage and I'll be graduating with my Bachelors degree in June. How do americans look towards foreign graduates? Do they treat us differently or do they embrace the idea? I'm from Belgium, never failed a class and I've studied in the UK in the past. My heart tells me to go to the US or Australia but my mind tells me to go to Shanghai :D.

----------

Forgot to quote :)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Oh really? Never knew he did :) His work does really fit in with their image I think, look & feel wise that is. And I've heard from so many people around that Alfred is a great app, I've given it a try before but never really got into it for some reason. Maybe it's the hat logo lol. I'll have to give it another try :rolleyes:

Off topic: I saw that you're from Florida. I've been planning to move abroad since the day I left collage and I'll be graduating with my Bachelors degree in June. How do americans look towards foreign graduates? Do they treat us differently or do they embrace the idea? I'm from Belgium, never failed a class and I've studied in the UK in the past. My heart tells me to go to the US or Australia but my mind tells me to go to Shanghai :D.

----------

Forgot to quote :)

Alfred is really great for keyboard access to common functions, you can build automations, run apps, do hundred of common tasks, and the search results are more effective vs. Spotlight.

On your second question: it depends on the location, the industry and a few other factors. Like any country there are petty, ignorant people , but there’s a huge diversity of people, places and professional options, many of which have no issues with a persons country of origin. I’m in the south which tends to be more conservative, but around here at the beach it’s a total different feel and we have a lot of artists, a notable L/G community, etc.

I’ve traveled a reasonable amount and I’ve met amazing people of all nationalities all over the US is all sorts of diverse industries, but certainly in the in tech sector.

If you were here, and knew iOS development, I’d put you to work (and get you a surfboard :D )

:cool:

LouisLivesLife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Alfred is really great for keyboard access to common functions, you can build automations, run apps, do hundred of common tasks, and the search results are more effective vs. Spotlight.

On your second question: it depends on the location, the industry and a few other factors. Like any country there are petty, ignorant people , but there’s a huge diversity of people, places and professional options, many of which have no issues with a persons country of origin. I’m in the south which tends to be more conservative, but around here at the beach it’s a total different feel and we have a lot of artists, a notable L/G community, etc.

I’ve traveled a reasonable amount and I’ve met amazing people of all nationalities all over the US is all sorts of diverse industries, but certainly in the in tech sector.

If you were here, and knew iOS development, I’d put you to work (and get you a surfboard :D )

:cool:

Haha that would be the best job interview ever! That and you'd get a laugh out of it simply because I have no clue about how surfing works haha :rolleyes:. And I guess you're right, I often look at the US the way I look at p.ex. Germany but have to realise that you guys are the size of Europe! I've had the chance to go to canada and the us before and just love the hospitality and culture. I still have time to explore a bit more I guess but I appreciate your honesty. Maybe I'll take an extra year of classes and get my degree in IT development ;)

LouisLivesLife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Sci-Fi / Comics

Made a new batch today figured I might share the png's with you guys :)
Hopefully they are useful to someone even though they are far from perfect.

Attachments

• Xmen.png
    Xmen.png
    238.6 KB · Views: 137
  • The Hobbit.png
    The Hobbit.png
    262.5 KB · Views: 132
  • LOTR.png
    LOTR.png
    352 KB · Views: 228
  • FolderTemplate.png
    FolderTemplate.png
    134.6 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.