Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
Hey guys,

I've been on the hunt for a few adapters and wanted to get some second opinions.
First one is the Lightening to SD adapter for my 4th gen iPad, 16GB and 32GB SD cards. From what I've read about it already:

64GB cards don't work
iPad will compress large sized .JPEGs
Images only go in, one can't save images to that card

Is this all still the case with the latest versions of iOS 7? Is this still the case on the newest iPad Air and x64 bit? Can anyone recommend a better solution?

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
Hey guys,
64GB cards don't work

What makes you think they don't work? If its SDXC then you just need to format it.

This review seems interesting:

I bought this for my 64GB iPad some months ago, and had the same problem others here mention, with it not reading a 64GB SD camera card. It would only read cards of 32GB or less. I have the latest version of the iPhoto app installed.

I just got a new 128GB iPad Air (a beautiful tablet, BTW). Out of curiosity I tried this reader with the Air and a 64GB SD card. Bingo, no problem!

I'm assuming the issue is that the iPad can't have an equal or smaller memory to the memory of any card it tries to read. With a 128GB iPad a 64GB card works fine.

I would therefore fault Apple for not making this situation clear in the advertising and instructions provided with this reader. I'll give it 4 stars for operating correctly in the right circumstances, and deduct a star for poor documentation.
http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/reviews/MD822ZM/A/lightning-to-sd-card-camera-reader

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
What makes you think they don't work? If its SDXC then you just need to format it.

This review seems interesting:

http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/reviews/MD822ZM/A/lightning-to-sd-card-camera-reader

I was basing the 64gb not working statement on 5+ reviews on the first page of Apple reviews,
What is later said in that review you provided makes some sort of sense, this doesn't help me much as only 1 of my cards will potentially work with my iPad.

Perhaps I will pick one up to try it, post my results here.

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
this doesn't help me

Yeah sorry, your best bet is to pick something up that connects over wifi, like what was linked above...less fiddly and more likely to work :p

Was just curious as to why you thought 64gb cards wouldn't work. I'm still tempted to say that quite a few of the reviewers are trying to read an exFAT (default format for SDXC cards) formatted card though :rolleyes:

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
Was just curious as to why you thought 64gb cards wouldn't work. I'm still tempted to say that quite a few of the reviewers are trying to read an exFAT (default format for SDXC cards) formatted card though :rolleyes:

I tried out my 64gb SDXC card formatted in exFat with the Lightining SD adapter on both my iPad rMini 16GB and iPad Air 16GB and they both work great.

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
I tried out my 64gb SDXC card formatted in exFat with the Lightining SD adapter on both my iPad rMini 16GB and iPad Air 16GB and they both work great.

Yeah just had a look, I guess exFAT is now supported. I wonder if it works for USB as well? Is it likely if it works for SD that it will work for USB (same driver maybe)?

If it works on a 16gb iPad there goes the theory that it doesn't work due to capacity. Could it be power related? Though that would come up with a power warning rather than a not supported warning right? Like usb does?...hmmm

Last edited:

felixpro

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2014

Just bought iPad Air, Lightining SD camera adapter and regular (not micro) SanDisk Extreme SDXC UHS-1 80 mb/s card and cannot make it all work with exFat. No problem with Fat 32, but I want it to retain exFat so I can watch movies that are bigger then 4 gb. I am completely knew with Apple but according to what I was reading recently it all should work with iOS 7. Am I missing something? Maybe only some SDXC cards with exFat will work, or maybe there are different camera adapters or maybe I need to jailbreak my device or maybe all of the above and something else?

I will really appreciate if somebody who got SDXC exFat card working with iPad Air will give me a little more detailed information. Which exactly brand/model/part number etc... of SDXC card you have so I can buy exactly the same, do I need any special settings or software, is it possible that even though I just bought it, but my Lightining SD camera adapter it not the latest. I already learned how to make my iPad read from external SD card using symbolic links but I am still limited to 4 gb file size because I can only make my iPad Air work with SDXC card formatted as Fat32, not exFat.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
Just bought iPad Air, Lightining SD camera adapter and regular (not micro) SanDisk Extreme SDXC UHS-1 80 mb/s card and cannot make it all work with exFat. No problem with Fat 32, but I want it to retain exFat so I can watch movies that are bigger then 4 gb. I am completely knew with Apple but according to what I was reading recently it all should work with iOS 7. Am I missing something? Maybe only some SDXC cards with exFat will work, or maybe there are different camera adapters or maybe I need to jailbreak my device or maybe all of the above and something else?

I will really appreciate if somebody who got SDXC exFat card working with iPad Air will give me a little more detailed information. Which exactly brand/model/part number etc... of SDXC card you have so I can buy exactly the same, do I need any special settings or software, is it possible that even though I just bought it, but my Lightining SD camera adapter it not the latest. I already learned how to make my iPad read from external SD card using symbolic links but I am still limited to 4 gb file size because I can only make my iPad Air work with SDXC card formatted as Fat32, not exFat.

I'm using a SanDisk Ultra 64mb MicroSDXC 1 in a SD full size adapter using the Lightning SD adapter formatted in exFat on an iMac using it on an iPad Air, works great for importing photos and videos from my Panasonic Camera. It works great for me for importing off of my camera. If you are doing more advanced things like renaming video files to import them onto your iPad, I can't address those issues.

felixpro

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2014
I'm using a SanDisk Ultra 64mb MicroSDXC 1 in a SD full size adapter using the Lightning SD adapter formatted in exFat on an iMac using it on an iPad Air, works great for importing photos and videos from my Panasonic Camera. It works great for me for importing off of my camera. If you are doing more advanced things like renaming video files to import them onto your iPad, I can't address those issues.

Thank you for reply. I just figured out why my pictures were not coming in - I had to put them first in DCIM folder and then rename them to 8 characters format. So that problem is solved. What I still cannot resolve is that when I open iFile - I still do not see my SD card mounted there if card is in exfat format. iPad reads it for pictures now, but iFile does not see additional storage, unless I reformat same card to Fat32. Any idea why?

leiterch

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
So I can't get my SD Card to work. I have tried all the formats (Fat32, NTFS & exFAT) and nothing works. I named the volume DCIM and placed a folder DCIM and then put a .jpg file renamed to test.jpg. Still no dice. photos is showing the import tab, but states no photos to import. I wanted to use this for extra videos and photos to be taken with me on the road.

I have a 32gb Ipad Air Softward is IOS 7.0.4, I am using the following SD Card
Sony SDHC UHS-I 32gb

Any help would be great.

thanks.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
So I can't get my SD Card to work. I have tried all the formats (Fat32, NTFS & exFAT) and nothing works. I named the volume DCIM and placed a folder DCIM and then put a .jpg file renamed to test.jpg. Still no dice. photos is showing the import tab, but states no photos to import. I wanted to use this for extra videos and photos to be taken with me on the road.

I have a 32gb Ipad Air Softward is IOS 7.0.4, I am using the following SD Card
Sony SDHC UHS-I 32gb

Any help would be great.

thanks.

test is not 8 characters, it only detects file names that are 8 characters long because thats how pictures are named if you take them with a camera

----------

Thank you for reply. I just figured out why my pictures were not coming in - I had to put them first in DCIM folder and then rename them to 8 characters format. So that problem is solved. What I still cannot resolve is that when I open iFile - I still do not see my SD card mounted there if card is in exfat format. iPad reads it for pictures now, but iFile does not see additional storage, unless I reformat same card to Fat32. Any idea why?

email the dev for iFile or ask this in the jailbreak forum for better answers

leiterch

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
test is not 8 characters, it only detects file names that are 8 characters long because thats how pictures are named if you take them with a camera

----------

email the dev for iFile or ask this in the jailbreak forum for better answers

Didn't think about that. If I label the files with 8 characters will it also allow me to import my videos? Thanks for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.