Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 13, 2003
Seen a lot of comments here on PS and LR needing cores, needing high end cards, needing neither (iMac), and all sort of combos thereof.

So.. does anyone have good information on what exactly PS and LR use, and what parts of the nMP would be most important? Comparing the 4 core vs 6 core, and D300 vs D500?

Might help some folks here to have accurate info to guide buying. (Myself I'm crunching large raw files -Nikon D800).

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Seen a lot of comments here on PS and LR needing cores, needing high end cards, needing neither (iMac), and all sort of combos thereof.

So.. does anyone have good information on what exactly PS and LR use, and what parts of the nMP would be most important? Comparing the 4 core vs 6 core, and D300 vs D500?

Might help some folks here to have accurate info to guide buying. (Myself I'm crunching large raw files -Nikon D800).

There was a recent thread on this identical subject... In the interest of not re-typing everything... https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1682177/

Cobb

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2011
London, UK
Is there any info how many cores PS CC is using? I know Adobe *might* upgrade there PS to use more cores in future but what is the current number of cores PS can use?

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Dealing with those raw files is 100% cpu bound. I'll use the same link as I did in the other thread. Lightroom doesn't really care about gpus beyond the ability to refresh whatever screen. I seem to end up in frequent debates regarding PS. I used Maya and PS for years and still maintain them. If you're dealing with 3d where where the machine has to crunch matrices across numerous point positions, OpenGL performance means something. For 2D photos, I've dealt with files large enough that they have to be saved out .psb rather than .psd. It's just not a big deal. I haven't tried anything that large with an absolutely terrible gpu, but it works with a 5770. All of those are significantly newer than a 5770. CS6 and CC should be fine with anything shipping today. Also the 6 core would speed up raw processing if you're shooting professionally. I realize it's typical to shoot 1000+ frames in a day if your subject is not stationary. The $4k model comes with D500s. If you like you could always compare that against purchasing just the 6 core.

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html

Lightroom requires a video card that can run the monitor at its native resolution. Built-in, default cards that ship with most desktop or laptop systems typically suffice for Lightroom.

Be sure to keep the graphics driver software up to date. See Update the graphics driver | Windows XP (kb409115) and Update the graphics driver | Windows 7, Vista. On Mac OS, click the Apple menu and choose Software Update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.