Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

niki201

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
I have started to notice that, when I have 10.5 on my systems they can't really load that much programs. It was released October 2007, which isn't much different from the fact that windows 7 was released in the same year. Windows 7 is used on various computers with not many issues with programs. So yes, 10.5 is kind of obsolete. If you think the same, reply.

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
You can't really compare Windows and OS X. Windows 7 was released in October 2009, not in 2007. That was Vista. Nevertheless most new applications won't work with OS X 10.5 anymore, especially if you are on a PPC Mac. So yes, it is pretty much obsolete.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I'm still using 10.5.8 and getting along fine with it. I don't crave any new applications, so I don't mind if the latest releases won't run on Leopard. However, I know that someday the Internet will leave Leopard behind. I don't think that has happened yet. It's a matter of how much you need/want to do online. For some people, it will become obsolete sooner than for others.

endlightend

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2013
If it works for you, I know people that are running Tiger and happy with it.
However, I lean toward the opinion that you should run at least 10.6, as it's now very cheap to purchase from Apple, and 10.6.8 brought the App Store to OS X. While there will still be apps that won't be compatible, you do gain access to a fairly large library of applications in one place as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.