Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jbenn425

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
New Jersey
I got my first cell phone 11 years ago in 8th grade. It was a Motorola 120t. I just dug it out of my closet but it had no charger so I ordered one on ebay for $3 because I REALLY want to turn it on for nostalgia. And to be able to show my kids one day. So what was your first cell phone?

Attachments

• 120t.JPG
    120t.JPG
    636.2 KB · Views: 3,274

Jbenn425

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
New Jersey
My 1st phone was the original iPhone. :)

Wow, that's interesting. What about the iPhone made you decide to get a cell phone? It's hard enough to switch someone from a dumb phone to a smart phone, never mind a person with no phone at all.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
My first was a Kyocera QCP2035a.

Kyocera-QCP-2035a.jpg

Since then, I've had a Motorola T720 and a Nokia 6126. After that was my first "smartphone" style phone, a Motorola Atrix. When that one started having screen issues, I got an iPhone 5, which is my current phone.

Jbenn425

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
New Jersey
Since then, I've had a Motorola T720 and a Nokia 6126.

I had the T720. I LOVED that phone!! I remember at that time everyone had the song P.I.M.P as their ringtone because polyphonic tones were all the rage. I remember you were also able to get a camera attachment for it. So effectively it was one of the first camera phones. I remember thinking to myself "All this phone needs it a front camera and you could video chat!"

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
My first cell phone was a portable 3 watt "car phone" made by Panasonic back in 1987 or 88. Cost about a grand and the service was very expensive at about 80 cents a minute after I used up my free 30 minutes a month. I forget what the monthly service charge was. Needless to say I didn't use it much

Jbenn425

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
New Jersey
I'm curious, if I buy a T720 off ebay, how can I get in past the "insert SIM" screen? Would it work if I just bought a blank sim card off ebay and inserted it just to be able to access the phone's features?

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
I had the T720. I LOVED that phone!! I remember at that time everyone had the song P.I.M.P as their ringtone because polyphonic tones were all the rage. I remember you were also able to get a camera attachment for it. So effectively it was one of the first camera phones. I remember thinking to myself "All this phone needs it a front camera and you could video chat!"

I'm a "serious hobbyist" MIDI/electronic musician; I learned to create MIDI files that would play back (but not very well) on the T720. I didn't get a camera on my phone until the Nokia 6126. I did some screen customizations on that one, and the 6126 even had a General MIDI soundset for easy full-orchestration ringtone creation.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Not sure of the exact model number, but I'm pretty sure this was it - at least it looks like it. One of the first GSM phones for AT&T Wireless (pre-Cingular merger) circa 2002 or 2003. The thing was indestructible.

freephone07.gif

Kinda wish I still had it, put my SIM card in there and see how well it works because I think it would still work on AT&T's network. I'd be curious how call quality compares to today's smart phones, some of the older Nokias were amazing in that regard.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Not sure of the exact model number, but I'm pretty sure this was it - at least it looks like it. One of the first GSM phones for AT&T Wireless (pre-Cingular merger) circa 2002 or 2003. The thing was indestructible.

Kinda wish I still had it, put my SIM card in there and see how well it works because I think it would still work on AT&T's network. I'd be curious how call quality compares to today's smart phones, some of the older Nokias were amazing in that regard.

I was going to use this exact image. I don't think it's a perfect match, but I had this similar phone on Cingular Wireless in red. It looked awesome and was awesome since I got it at a pretty young age (for the time) in 8th grade since I was the youngest of 4 and just got added in to the family plan with my siblings. Definitely called no one but my family.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
My parents got me this Sanyo at the end of my sophomore year in high school. I hated it with a passion to the point that I made them cancel my service and I didn't have a phone until the iPhone 2G came out.

sanyo%20scp%20200.bmp

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Mine was a Siemens M35i, commonly called the PostPhone.

Like 35% of the Netherlands these phones were free by the opening from a bank account by the PostBank.:)

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
A Motorola Timeport.

Man I loved it! But I wore a lot of baggy jeans back then - that's how I've lost it.

MotorolaTimeport-e2f65451f163f833567013811d2a9822-1463.jpeg

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Pretty hot stuff..huh!? :cool:

I remember when they were $750 on a 3 year term :eek:

----------

Ahh yes, my mother had that in silver. I remember it also used to come as a car phone with Lexus's. It was eventually replaced with a V60 for Lexus.

I had the major hots for the v60 cause at the time, it was the first all metal housing cell phone. It was some serious hotness. $900 hotness.

I would like to see someone, anyone in public with a normal cell. Everyone has smartphones now even grandmas are rocking iphones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.