Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
My wife and I bought our first Mac almost two years ago, a 13" MBA 2011 with OSx 10.7 (128gb, 4GB RAM). We install any updates available for it and it is currently 10.7.5 and runs perfectly. We only use it for internet, paying bills online and MS Office occasionally.

Will will run into compatibility issues or problems 2,3,4 years down the road if we don't upgrade the OS? Will Apple continue to put out updates to 10.7.x for awhile? I guess I am just hesitant to upgrade to 10.9 since I have been reading about a lot of issues with it right now, our MBA is running great as is, and I am fairly new to OSx still and not sure what to do.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
10.7 is now two generations behind the current 10.9
Apple tends to stop any updates, other than the occasional app update, such as Safari or iTunes - and the newest versions either are not supported on 10.7 already, or may have features that are not availability. The latest update of any great value is a security update, and Apple, so far, continues with security updates for 10.6, one generation older than yours. I expect that Apple is just about done with updates for that, and you can expect no more updates for Lion in about a year, I suppose.
That doesn't automatically mean that your Mac suddenly stops working.
My opinion is that if you can still do what you need, the computer is still useful - to you, and updates are not really relevant.
I did some work for a man about 5 years ago who used a Mac Plus as a business invoice printer, with the same software (and hardware) from 25 years ago. I haven't heard in a couple of years, but the old Mac was still in daily use, because it continued to do what he wanted (and he can still find ribbons for the old ImageWriter that he uses :D )

I do want to point out that you can upgrade to the latest Mavericks (OS X 10.9) for free. It's not enormously different (on the surface) from what you have now, and (in theory) can give you better use of your memory, and perhaps improved battery use.
And, you'll be good to go for another 2 or 3 years or so - you never know when you might need to get a new printer (or some other task) that requires 10.9 or higher.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
I really appreciate your detailed response. I had always been a Windows guy so I am just learning Mac stuff. My wife and I have decided though we are going exclusively with Mac in the future.

I guess I will wait until they release a few updates to 10.9 and then probably upgrade in the spring. That will give me time to research whether or not I should just upgrade or try a clean install of 10.9.

Thanks again.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
I really appreciate your detailed response. I had always been a Windows guy so I am just learning Mac stuff. My wife and I have decided though we are going exclusively with Mac in the future.

I guess I will wait until they release a few updates to 10.9 and then probably upgrade in the spring. That will give me time to research whether or not I should just upgrade or try a clean install of 10.9.

Thanks again.

See if you like it in the Apple Stores. Not exactly what you wanted as a solution but it might help.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
See if you like it in the Apple Stores. Not exactly what you wanted as a solution but it might help.

That's a good idea. The closest Apple store is over an hour from us despite living is a city (we live in Wilkes Barre/Scranton PA, never understood why we don't have an Apple store here to be honest), but at least I can go to Best Buy to check it out.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I'm still running 10.5.8 and have not had significant problems. So for 2, 3, 4 years, you'll be fine. But eventually even I will have to upgrade.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Is there any downside to NOT upgrading your OS?

I am in the school of, don't fix it if ain't broken.

The only downside I see are people laughing at your old stuff and the doomsters telling if you don't keep your machine updated it will implode.

Seriously, the only downside I see is the community of people who are able to support you is going to diminish day by day, but if you are expert Googler and can find the answers on your own then heck with the community.

You can always make an image backup of your current OS, I use Carbon Copy. Load the new OS, play with it, and if you don't like it, reload image and nothing is been lost except your time.

abbstrack

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2008
SoCal
Maybe not the direct answer but a point of caution:

I upgraded a top of the line Mac Mini computer that is barely a year old from Mountain Lion to Mavericks, and it practically destroyed my system. The most simple taksks, like copying files from one hard drive to another or adding/importing files into my iTunes library became impossible. After trying every fix you can imagine, including 4 clean installs of the Mavericks OS, I am now in the process of downgrading my OS back to Mountain lion in hopes that I can get it back to normal form.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Will will run into compatibility issues or problems 2,3,4 years down the road if we don't upgrade the OS?

Yes. The latest versions of some Apple software (iLife, iWork, Final Cut Pro) only support 10.9.

There was a vulnerability with Safari that didn't receive an update for 10.6. Apple will likely drop 10.7 support soon if they haven't already.

Best thing to do would be to wait until 10.9.3 or so is out and the new OS has had some updates and bug fixes and upgrade then.

cookiesnfooty

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2009
Harrogate
Maybe not the direct answer but a point of caution:

I upgraded a top of the line Mac Mini computer that is barely a year old from Mountain Lion to Mavericks, and it practically destroyed my system. The most simple taksks, like copying files from one hard drive to another or adding/importing files into my iTunes library became impossible. After trying every fix you can imagine, including 4 clean installs of the Mavericks OS, I am now in the process of downgrading my OS back to Mountain lion in hopes that I can get it back to normal form.

That situation is unique to you though, not entirely fair to throw that in the mix.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I agree with the poster above who said, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

If you're satisfied running 10.7 -- and if everything you do with the computer continues to work well enough -- there is no pressing reason to "upgrade" the OS.

You should be aware that at some point, the internet and the browsers that are used to access might it "progress" to the point where the browsers YOU currently use may become unresponsive. Some sites you visit may no longer work.

This could happen, but until and unless it does, again -- no compelling reason to replace 10.7 with something newer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.